New Member in Austin, TX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
#OneLessprius

FIFY ;-)

So when you catch up on your FRF homework, you’ll realize that putting lift on the Raptor is controversial at best. Most of them are bandaid components that will facilitate accelerated wear and increase the chance of parts breakage elsewhere.

I prefer the ESP to the maint. plan personally and 10k intervals is a bit... generous. The KO2’s won’t like it and your oil changes should be closer to 5-6k miles, not 10k. The @FordTechOne preferred narrative is pretty well accepted here; the trucks with early failure cam phasers tend to have longer oil change intervals. @Old-Raptor-guy has a post on here somewhere about long service ecoboost engines, and he’s got some good examples.

Thanks for the input so far. I failed to mention I did get the 6yr/150k Premium Care extended warranty. I paid $4k which from what I have experienced is an excellent price.

I have been thinking the 10k intervals are too far apart and figured I would do my own between them.
I will see if I can find my post. I get tired of reposting it. So I will sum it up.

Been mechanic since 1986, today right now I am doing more internal engine repairs that I have ever done. In the 1980's / 90's we did a shit ton of oil leaks. Gaskets and such but honestly internal engines (internally lubricated parts) were not that common. Do some research. The reason I say that is, educate yourself and come to your own conclusions. Around 2004 three things happened.
1: oil change intervals got larger
2: oils got thinner (5w-20 vs 5w30)
3: zinc allowed in oil dropped (zinc is a very good anti-wear agent)

Those three things have caused the average engine life to drop by about 20%

Those three things were mostly due to government mandates (so don't hate the manufacturer totally)

The engines I see that reach 300k are normally serviced 2x the manufacturers recommendations. Also read the fine print the 10k oil changes are based on best case scenario (which applies to only about 5% of the population) so even the manufacturer knows this is garbage, but is meeting government mandates by publishing longer intervals.

Any oil 30 weight or lower (0w20, 5w20, 5w30) is only allowed about 700ppm zinc while any oil 40 weight or higher (0w40, 5w40, 5w50) is allowed more zinc, around 1200ppm.

Last edited:

BigBlue20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Raptor! Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info for you just in your introduction thread. Unfortunately a lot of folks that join don’t care to listen to advice. You’ll love your Raptor.