New from Northern VA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WCE: welcome, congrats, enjoy !!! To not buy cybertruck is one of the best thing you have done in your life , and not get married , ha, you are, sorry...

quattrojim

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and sweet rig! I’m also in VA (Richmond area). I saw a Cyber (I’m having a hard time calling it a truck) for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was bigger than I anticipated and just as ugly as I expected. Nice move passing on that thing. I’m in for a meetup!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yep for work. I would have never left otherwise. Good point on the single digit temps. It does get pretty cold here, at least a lot more than I would like. Hasn't snowed much here in a few years, but I'm sure the Raptor will be lots of fun when it does.

Hey I’m in NOVA too. Moved away for a few years and most recently was in Austin. Welcome to VA

Not much in the way of fun off roading in NoVA or close by. Beaches in NC or Assateauge, but nps are absolute puritans so don’t get caught breaking a rule or reg. GW Forest has some off road trails too.
The problem with snow in and around the DMV: Other drivers. LOTS of other drivers. You’re seriously overcrowded on any roadway at any time in the DMV unless you’re out at 2-3 in the morning.
The quality of driver in the DMV is comparatively low to other areas. Lots of NY refugees who never owned a car until they came to NoVA. Lots of people in low paying jobs they can’t afford to lose who _have_ to be at work or they’ll get fired- that’s what they think anyway and have no business piloting a car in any weather, much less snow.

This makes it a bit disquieting to bring the Raptor out in snow around the DMV.
I will say this though: At least folks from the DMV know how to drive in the rain. Unlike some places I know like.... oh, TEXAS.
FFS TX guys and gals: It’s just RAIN. It happens. Seriously, you don’t need to abandon all hope when it happens...

OP
OP
jekyll537

jekyll537

Reaction score
Not much in the way of fun off roading in NoVA or close by. Beaches in NC or Assateauge, but nps are absolute puritans so don’t get caught breaking a rule or reg. GW Forest has some off road trails too.
The problem with snow in and around the DMV: Other drivers. LOTS of other drivers. You’re seriously overcrowded on any roadway at any time in the DMV unless you’re out at 2-3 in the morning.
The quality of driver in the DMV is comparatively low to other areas. Lots of NY refugees who never owned a car until they came to NoVA. Lots of people in low paying jobs they can’t afford to lose who _have_ to be at work or they’ll get fired- that’s what they think anyway and have no business piloting a car in any weather, much less snow.

This makes it a bit disquieting to bring the Raptor out in snow around the DMV.
I will say this though: At least folks from the DMV know how to drive in the rain. Unlike some places I know like.... oh, TEXAS.
FFS TX guys and gals: It’s just RAIN. It happens. Seriously, you don’t need to abandon all hope when it happens...
Yes, all facts. Thanks for the info. I've been looking for places to go, but like you said there really isn't anything. I did find a place in WV that is only about an hour away called Chaos Off-Road Park (https://chaosfabshop.com/chaos-road-park/). Chaos Fab Shop out of Winchester owns it. Has anyone been there?

Folks really do like to park in the ditch when it snows here, one of the weirdest things I've seen on the roads around the country. Up there with the folks in San Antonio that come to a complete stop at the yield signs entering the highways.

quattrojim

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, all facts. Thanks for the info. I've been looking for places to go, but like you said there really isn't anything. I did find a place in WV that is only about an hour away called Chaos Off-Road Park (https://chaosfabshop.com/chaos-road-park/). Chaos Fab Shop out of Winchester owns it. Has anyone been there?

Folks really do like to park in the ditch when it snows here, one of the weirdest things I've seen on the roads around the country. Up there with the folks in San Antonio that come to a complete stop at the yield signs entering the highways.
Oh don’t worry, they come to a complete stop at a highway on-ramp too. Makes me want to trade in the Raptor for a Hilux with a 50 cal….

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Cove Campground does an off road event - almost all Jeepers. They do have some pretty good trails but zero high speed.
good tannerite range too, but keep your eyes out for knuckleheads at the range.
Oh don’t worry, they come to a complete stop at a highway on-ramp too. Makes me want to trade in the Raptor for a Hilux with a 50 cal….
Yeah, but at least the Virginia drivers by and large can handle rain. Texans don’t get much rain, so when it happens anyone behind the wheel here fears it’s the apocalypse. They’re way more polite drivers, about 1 in 10 will actually pull to the side and let you pass which NEVER happens in the DMV. Ever.

mikewills

Reaction score
Welcome….I’m in NoVA, too. In Leesburg, right next door to Costco. Chaos regeared my rubicon and trussed my axle when I went to 37s. Great shop, but a little on the higher end. Pretty good rock crawling around here-ish, too (and up to a few hrs drive).