New FORD police interceptor to be Taurus-Based

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Link hizzle

Just a quick note: The Detroit News is reporting that the next Ford Police Interceptor will be based on the same platform as the Taurus. For you platform geeks out there, that's the Ford D3 chassis that underpins everything from the the Lincoln MKS to the Volvo XC90 to the Ford Flex (though the Flex and the Lincoln MKT ride on a lengthened version called D4). Yesterday, we explained that a new Police Interceptor is showing up tomorrow (Friday, March 12) in Las Vegas and that it probably won't be riding on the Panther platform. Regardless, the concept will be unveiled at the Vegas Motor Speedway.
630pisho.jpg

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I was hoping that we, being up and on the net at this time of day, would get a sneek peek or leak somewhere to the official car but, I haven't seen any pics yet.

OP
OP
Nacho

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea, tonight (our time) we should have some OFFICIAL pics of the actual vehicle.

cov-09pintercept1.jpg

^ not official

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are the specs for the Interceptor...wait maybe I can Google it. My wife likes the new Taurus and of course the only I would take is the SHO. It's an extreme departure from the Mustang but we want to start traveling more with and without the doggies...what do y'all think.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^Any reason the Raptor wouldn't work? Or are ya looking for a gas sipper?

I ask because we wanted to start traveling more too, but we found that along the way and/or once we got there, we wanted to explore. In the Raptor we can "see where that goes" with confidence. It's really added to our travel enjoyment and the extra fuel is just looked at as part of the travel costs up front.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well my wife must have a car. She likes the Mustang and the Taurus. When we go on trips we typically go to Charleston, SC or Columbus, GA and tend not to explore too much. Normally if we go off the grid in Charleston we ride in my brother's Landcruiser, which is a capable vehicle in it's own right. On the East Coast I really have not found many places to go offroad except for on our beaches, with one right down the road. But really I guess it boils down to me not wanting my three dogs in the back seat of the Raptor...claws and leather, plus as my 54 lb. pit puppy continues to grow the less room there is in the back for three dogs.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I am disappointed that it will not be Aussie Falcon based (more reason for Ford to bring them over for the rest of us...). It would be a direct competitor to the Dodge Charger (currently the only offering in that segment).

OP
OP
Nacho

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is one good looking Police Vehicle....it will be about 5 years before the Army sees them. We had mostly Impalas and two Vics at Bragg and those Impalas were HORRIBLE. (plus they are beat to S***) Good luck chasing anyone or responding in a timely manner to anything in those. And glad to see they are using LED bars. Its 2010, time to get rid of the regular emergency lights.
Another pic
screen-shot-2010-03-12-at-11.53.41-amopt.jpg