Need Advice On Used Second Gen 2019 802a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lheafner

Reaction score
Looking for advice on a used 2019 802a raptor, 85k miles. I’m new to Raptors but have done a good amount of research on the forum.
The seller has agreed to a $42k purchase price which is very good for my area- he’s motivated to sell as he’s already left the state. The truck is currently covered under a Ford Premium Care ESP and Premium maintenance until 100k miles or the end of this year (Dec 2024- which must have been his purchase date?) From what I can tell, it’s been serviced by the dealer regularly for oil changes, brake pads, etc. The cam phasers have NOT been replaced. I had a pre-buy inspection performed by my independent mechanic, they noted warped brake rotors, that the cam phasers likely needed to be done, leaks at the transfer case and timing cover, and dirty air filters. None of this was noted when the dealer changed the oil 1,500 miles ago, but I trust my shop. The owner doesn’t seem to be much of a truck guy, and the interior/exterior is in fair shape. My understanding is the warranty should be transferable, and that the items above should be covered under warranty? I haven’t personally dealt with the my local dealer, but are second-owners having trouble getting warranty service done? It sounds like the cam phaser job could take a while, so I should prepare for the truck to be in the shop for a while if I pull the trigger. I’m trying to balance an attractive price with a truck that might need some work. Thoughts?

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless it's rattling I have no idea how your mechanic thinks the cam phasers should probably be done. @FordTechOne ?

The rest of the leaking stuff should be taken care of under that warranty.

And most extended warranties need to be transferred to the new owner with the correct paperwork submitted to the company that holds the warranty.

julien194b

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If built date is december 19 , it may have new design part phaser and last update sofware, but in this case, I guess truck is considered 20's ?

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t have internal engine work done under warranty just because you want to. If the owner had the cam phaser recall done at low mileage you have very little to worry about.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I had a pre-buy inspection performed by my independent mechanic, they noted warped brake rotors, that the cam phasers likely needed to be done, leaks at the transfer case and timing cover, and dirty air filters. None of this was noted when the dealer changed the oil 1,500 miles ago, but I trust my shop.
The oil leaks concern me but I’d be curious what he means by phasers likely need to be done. Did they rattle, even just a little? The only way to know for sure is a cold soak start, let the truck sit for at least 12 hours, preferably a day. Listen on the first start up, there are videos all over the net for how it sounds. The guys performing maintenance probably didn’t want to find anything wrong, they probably wanted to change the oil, find stuff that needed replacing that previous owner could be charged for.

I’m trying to balance an attractive price with a truck that might need some work. Thoughts?
A transferrable ESP insulates you from some potential expense here, but not the downtime. Is your local stealership service department pretty good?
I’d take your guy’s report to the local or preferred Ford Stealership and ask them about the repairs. You’ll get a sense if they are trying to weasel out of doing it. They may be hesitant because Ford will authorize xxxx amount of dollars / hours for a repair. Any time & money beyond that the stealership has to eat find creative ways to get you to pay.

OP
OP
L

lheafner

Reaction score
You can’t have internal engine work done under warranty just because you want to. If the owner had the cam phaser recall done at low mileage you have very little to worry about.
Meaning the cam phasers? My independent shop said they heard a “timing chain rattle at startup” which the counter guy said was likely the cam phasers. However I didn’t realize that it needed to be a 12+ hour cold start, they only had the truck for a couple of hours. I unfortunately don’t have the opportunity to keep it that long prior to buying. The owner had Ford review his service records and the can phasers have not been replaced - I specifically asked him to research that. My local dealer doesn’t have the best reputation, my brother also has a 2019 he purchased new, and his experience hasn’t been great. He does love the truck though

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Meaning the cam phasers? My independent shop said they heard a “timing chain rattle at startup” which the counter guy said was likely the cam phasers. However I didn’t realize that it needed to be a 12+ hour cold start, they only had the truck for a couple of hours. I unfortunately don’t have the opportunity to keep it that long prior to buying. The owner had Ford review his service records and the can phasers have not been replaced - I specifically asked him to research that. My local dealer doesn’t have the best reputation, my brother also has a 2019 he purchased new, and his experience hasn’t been great. He does love the truck though
If the dealer doesn't have a good reputation there's plenty out there for sale, personally knowing how this FRF community works I'd be more likely to buy used one directly from one of these guys than the dealer.

You can always show up first thing in the morning and ask for the keys to give it a cold start if this one really has you interested.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, phasers. Timing chain rattle sounds different from cam phaser rattle, so the counter guy was likely just guessing. As already mentioned, a lot of people confuse normal cold start wastegate rattle with a timing drive issue.

bakwaas4eva

Reaction score
Make sure you do the correct paperwork and get the esp... it comes in handy when there's something wrong with the truck... its worth every penny from the horror stories I read on here