My weird truck story...long. Read it anyway.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's how it started.

Been on a stage 2 goosetune for 10k miles. Been great. Heard the phaser rattle and took the tune off. Now the trans is shifting like total ass. Banging all around. I put the tune back on. Even worse. Fast forward. On a long road trip and I had the cruise set at 84mph. I look down and the boost gauge is pegged. I get freaked out and I'm starting messing with it. Downshift or add throttle and the boost bled off. Anytime there was very minimal load the boost grew. Ok. This isn't good. I pull over and flash the truck back to stock thinking it's the tune. Get back on the road, and now it's fine. Never does it again. After 2 hours of driving I get a CEL. Vin does not match software. Now it's bucking and surging under those same conditions. I get to San Diego and take it to a dealer. Mossy Ford in SD btw is amazing. They get me in last min and trouble shoot it for 9 hours. Invite me in the shop, show me the data and all. They are great. Anyway he comes up with the torque converter is working in a wave on lockup. Hence the surging. I get the truck home and get it to the dealer. I heard the phaser rattle occasionally so I mentioned that as well. They call and say yup...needs phasers. Have that done and off to the transmission shop. They come back and say I needed a new valve body. Got the truck back today and it is shifting and feeling way better. I'll add Winfield was great all through this. Think I emailed the poor guy 20 times. Anyway. Would you put the tune back on, or leave it alone? Anyone else had the valve body replaced?

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately our trucks do not get younger by the day. Everything that’s mechanical will break someday. I don’t think it’s the tune, just age.

localbrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the truck?

I think what Diver said, drive it for a few thousand miles before thinking of putting the tune back on.

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck just got to 50k miles. Bought a platinum warranty the day I bought it because I knew these trucks were POS on the dependability part. It's a 2017. I will add, this new valve body has the trans shifting awesome. In sport mode it's almost as if I have the goosetune TCM back on.

NickW

Reaction score
My 2017 needed the valve body replaced at 48k miles for similar symptoms. At that point I did not have a tune on it. I would tune and roll with it, especially if you have warranty. That's why I personally drive a raptor, so I can push it and play in it.