Looking for my first Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi guys! Somehow convinced my wife to allow me to purchase my dream truck and she's onboard!

While a Gen 3 is what I'd prefer, I've been looking at some fully packaged (802) Gen 2s as they fit more of the general price range ($60-$65). I set my eyes upon a low mileage (39K) '18 yesterday that had the cam phasers and VCT? VTC? work already done by dealership but then we got to opening the moonroof and it got stuck so that conversation is on pause. Seen 2 others locally (Vegas) that just looked tore up.

I'm at the stage where I am refreshing local inventory, Carmax and Carvana.

I have been known to move very quickly when I've been given the green light on something so I worry I'll emotionally purchase (otherwise my daily is a Honda Odyssey when we have to take 2 cars)

Anyway, no real point in my post here other than to introduce myself and will welcome any feedback if this prompts you to reminisce your first time raptor buying experience.

I don't drive a prius but you'll probably consider it one - a Jeep 4xe Rubicon that we got for my wife for her bday.

Looking forward to being a part of the community!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!

See https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...n-too”-raptor-some-things-to-look-for.101501/

When were the phasers replaced? There was also a reprogram done to help avoid further phaser lock failures.
The moonroof is a common failure, probably requires new tracks - a shop charges anywhere from several hundred to about 1800 to repair. It’s doable and there are videos on youtube. See the above thread for working around this issue.

A no moonroof ’17-’20 truck is super rare, probably only a few hundred made and almost all of those were special order. The problem with “never opening” it is what you just found out- a potential buyer comes along and bang - it’s broke.

If those are the only issues, I’d dig further on the ’18 you looked at and see if it’s a good fit for you. Does it have maintenance records?

IceStationZ

Reaction score
Hi guys! Somehow convinced my wife to allow me to purchase my dream truck and she's onboard!

While a Gen 3 is what I'd prefer, I've been looking at some fully packaged (802) Gen 2s as they fit more of the general price range ($60-$65). I set my eyes upon a low mileage (39K) '18 yesterday that had the cam phasers and VCT? VTC? work already done by dealership but then we got to opening the moonroof and it got stuck so that conversation is on pause. Seen 2 others locally (Vegas) that just looked tore up.

I'm at the stage where I am refreshing local inventory, Carmax and Carvana.

I have been known to move very quickly when I've been given the green light on something so I worry I'll emotionally purchase (otherwise my daily is a Honda Odyssey when we have to take 2 cars)

Anyway, no real point in my post here other than to introduce myself and will welcome any feedback if this prompts you to reminisce your first time raptor buying experience.

I don't drive a prius but you'll probably consider it one - a Jeep 4xe Rubicon that we got for my wife for her bday.

Looking forward to being a part of the community!
As a new Gen 3 first time Raptor owner, I'm not smart enough to advocate Gen 2 vs Gen 3. However, you can definitely get a mint pavement princess Gen 3 with less than 30k miles in the $65k range. If you haven't already, try the search filters on autotrader and cars dot com.

BossRaptor

Reaction score
There is a shitload of Raptors on the west coast . Open up your search area and I'm sure you can find one that meets your needs. I had issues finding private party ones ,ended up buying mine at a dealership. Something I didn't want to do. Happy with my Raptor so far though.

OP
OP
V
Reaction score
Right on guys thanks for the tips and the warm welcome.

I think I’m trying to stay close to $65K OTD, I figured Gen 2 802A package will make me a veryhappyraptor(owner)