LED Lightbars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In a traditional light bulb, high electrical current is sent through a small metallic filament held under vacuum inside a glass bulb. The current makes the filament glow brightly and yields illumination. A polished reflector behind the bulb is then used to capture and focus the light forward in some desired dispersion pattern.

Modern incarnations of the light bulb have made them ever brighter and more efficient. Examples include halogen bulbs which contain an inert gas and a halogen material used to prevent darkening of the bulb over time. Another example is the high intensity discharge (HID) light which uses high internal voltage to form an intense plasma to create light.

LEDs are light emitting diodes. They are composed of semiconductor materials and when a current is passed through the formed junction, they emit light. Various colors are possible depending on the characteristics of the material used to build the diode.

A big advantage of LEDs is their efficiency. They can produce far more light for a given amount of input power than conventional bulbs. They also have high service lifetimes (typically in excess of 10,000 hours). LEDs are much less sensitive to shock and vibration damage, which is especially useful for off-road applications.

Power efficiency of LEDs - It's not uncommon for a halogen light to be rated at 100 to 150 watts. This translates to a battery current draw of about 8 to 12 amps per light. A step up in improvement (and cost) is a comparable 35-watt HID light that would draw about 3 amps of current.

Source: http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0907or_rigid_industries_led_light_bar/index.html

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rigid Industries LED Light Bar - Exposing The night
Rigid LED Lighting Shines Bright
July, 2009

By Jay Kopycinski
Photography by Jay Kopycinski, Rigid Industries

Inspection
If you want to drive at night, you have to have good lighting for night driving. Stock headlights work ok for basic highway driving, but when you venture out into the sticks the night grows darker and supplemental lighting can help you find your way better. This is especially true if you like to travel at speed. The faster you go, the better and brighter lighting you need to clearly see the terrain.

Enter Rigid Industries, a manufacturer of several different types of lights. These include LED light bars that range in size from 4-inch to 50-inch long. They also build a full line of aircraft and off-road HID lights, and a line of RV interior LED lights.

Their LED light bars use industry leading technology. Each light consists of two rows of high intensity LEDs, each sitting in a patented reflector assembly that measures about one inch square. The smallest 4-inch light contains eight LEDs and each light contains progressively more as the size grows.

We mentioned the power efficiency of LEDs. It's not uncommon for a halogen light to be rated at 100 to 150 watts. This translates to a battery current draw of about 8 to 12 amps per light. A step up in improvement (and cost) is a comparable 35-watt HID light that would draw about 3 amps of current.

For similar light output, you could use a 6-inch "E" Series light bar that would only consume about 2 amps of current, keeping your alternator and battery happier. Also, unlike the HID light that needs a ballast module, the LED arrays simply hook up to 12 volts with power and ground.

Rigid Industries currently offers lights with the highest efficiency on the market. With their power-friendly design, durable assembly, and choice of lighting and housing colors we were impressed with the Rigid offerings. We will say that you won't find this quality of lighting at discount store pricing, but you will get an awesome light for the cash you pay for these quality lights.

Rigid 10-inch "E" Series LED Light Bars will throw out some serious illumination for playing in the dark, yet still be kind to the vehicle's charging system, sipping just a bit over 3 amps of current.

Source: http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0907or_rigid_industries_led_light_bar/index.html

0907or_01_z+installing_led_lights+light_bar.jpg

The guys at Rigid knew their lights were built to be tough but wanted to subject one to some real world challenges. They took on of their larger lights and started by dragging it around their parking lot behind a Jeep, then drove over the light a few times, and then took turns beating it with a 2x4 stud. The light looked ugly but still worked. Following that, they took the light to a shooting range and shot it with a couple of 9mm and .223 bullets, and then blasted it with a shotgun. The hex drivers in the light housing above show where some bullets went clean through the light. After all the destruction, two-thirds of the LED's still functioned!

0907or_10_z+installing_led_lights+testing_lights.jpg

Here you can see a partially assembled light showing the LED circuit board (green) inside the housing and the right portion has the reflector and bonnet pieces added.A clear 0.125-inch thick UV resistant lexan sheet serves as the final layer over the reflector array to keep dust and moisture out of the light. In the rare event that one LED in the array fails, it's not like the fatal blow to a string of Christmas lights. Each LED is wired to the power bus on the circuit board separately, meaning one LED failure does not affect the operation of another.

0907or_05_z+installing_led_lights+partially_assembled_light.jpg

Each light comes with a footed mount on each end that allows the housing to be rotated up or down. Available optionally are clamp mounts that can allow the light to be mounted to round tubing.

0907or_12_z+installing_led_lights+footed_mount.jpg

The lights are available in four illumination colors: cool white, warm white, natural white, and amber. The color is produced at the LED source so no further filtering is needed to get the desired color. By using only clear optics (instead of color filters over the LED) most of the light output is preserved. Rigid can recommend a color best suited to your nighttime needs based on your use, as some are better suited for dusty conditions or dirt color, etc.

0907or_08_z+installing_led_lights+four_alumination_colors.jpg

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are some very informative posts Dan, I would be curious to compare the lighting of these when compared with halogen or HID lights. I know that a standard flashlight utilizing LED's does not seem to provide as much "visible" light as a standard flashlight. Upside is, the batteries last MUCH longer. I do like the look of the LED bar, I will say. It is sleek and clean looking. Thanks for gathering the info MMB> heheheh! That still cracks me up!

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rigid Industries vs Vision X LED lightbars - Test Results

Note: This comparison comes from another site. I did not write this.

This is one of the better ones out there. It may help in determining if there really is a difference in the 2 manufacturers light bars. Credit goes to the authors of the test, I am simply reposting it for information purposes. The original thread can be found at UTV underground. Here is the article:

Lumen's, foot-candles, illuminance, LUX, candlepower, lumen's, radiance. Are you as confused as I am? All these things are ways to either determine the amount of light at a certain spot, or how much light is being emitted from a light. I have read up on how to determine these and measure them and the equations to figure them out, and I am still lost. This article will not get into depth on the mathematics of it all, but will show you the difference in power consumption and light output at a certain distance.

I would like to start off by thanking the people who made this all happen. Thomas Hoover who supplied me with a Vision-X 32” & 42” Xmitter LED light bars. Dorian at DoubleTroubleHook.com for supplying a Rigid Industries 30” E-Series LED light bar. Mike Street with A Quality Electric who supplied the testing equipment and knowledge on the electrical aspect. Last but not least, my wife who sat around with us for the 3½ hours we spent testing the light bars and taking all the notes.

We are now going to go over the vehicles used and the products tested. Car 1 was a Yamaha Rhino 660cc with a stock battery. Car 2 was a Yamaha Rhino 700cc with a stock battery. No upgraded stators, alternators or other charging devices were used or installed on either vehicle. Car 1 had a Rigid Industries E-Series 30” LED bar installed. Car 2 had a Vision-X Xmitter 32” & 42” LED bar installed. Both LED bars were installed in the same location and the angles were matched to properly test light output.

Below you will find a table that shows amp draw, lumen's, watts, number of LED's and pricing on each of the LED light bars tested as per the manufactures websites.

Make/Size Rigid 30" Vision X 32" Vision X 42"
Amps 9.5 15 20
Lumens 10925 10800 14400
Watts 114 180 240
# of LEDs 60 60 80
Price $1,149.99 $1,199.95 $1,599.99

Now lets talk about our test. We used 36” tall wood stakes at 25' increments to test light output via foot-candles. What is a foot-candle you ask, well the definition is the amount of light that a birthday cake candle generates one foot away. We also tested the voltage on the battery with the vehicle running and the LED light bar on & off, the amount of amps being drawn through the light bar running, and the temperature of the housing.

This article will not tell you who is a winner or which one is the best one out there or things of that nature. It will simply give you all the information you and others have asked and put it in an informative article let you make your choice and form your own opinion from there.

Below you will find a table that has all the information side by side for comparison, then I will get into the details of the numbers shown.

Make/Size Rigid 30" Vision X 32" Vision X 42"
Amps 7.62 9.4 12.9
Volts Off 14.19 14.33 14.33
Volts 13.8 13.82 13.74
Distance Foot Candle Light Output
25' 26.90 20.80 43.20
50' 13.90 8.60 17.90
75' 8.50 4.20 9.00
100' 5.20 2.20 5.00
125' 3.70 1.40 3.50
150' 2.50 0.60 2.20
175' 2.00 0.50 1.70
200' 1.40 0.30 1.00
Temp 67◦ 65◦ 65◦
Outside Temp 70◦ 70◦ 70◦

First off lets discuss amps. The amps shown above are the amount of amps the light bar is drawing while the car is running and the bar has been turned on for 10 minutes or more. Rigid is drawing 7.62 amps on the 30”, Vision-X is drawing 9.40 amps on the 32”, and Vision-X is drawing 12.90 amps on the 42”. Thus showing us that the Rigid 30” has the least amount of amp draw between the 3 LED light bars tested.

Secondly we will discuss volts on the OEM battery while the car is running and the LED light bar is turned off than turned on. Car 1 (Rigid) had a reading of 14.19 volts while the car was at idle, the LED light bar was turned off and no other accessories were running. Car 2 (Vision-X) had a reading of 14.33 volt while the car was at idle, the LED light bar was turned off and no other accessories were running. Now we will discuss the volts on the stock Yamaha Rhino battery while the LED light bars were running. Car 1 (Rigid) had a reading of 13.80 volts while the LED light bar was turned on, the car was t idle and no other accessories were running.

That shows us that there is a 2.72% decrease in volts with the Rigid 30” LED bar running. Car 2 (Vision-X) had a reading of 13.82 volts with the 32” LED bar running, which is a 3.55% decrease in volts. Car 2 (Vision-X) had a reading of 13.72 volts while the 42” LED bar was running, which equates to a 4.10% decrease in volts. What does this sum up? The Rigid 30” bar had the lower percentage of volt loss with the LED bar running. Which now will bring us to the final and most important test, light output.

Now lumen's, LUX, candlepower and what-not are confusing to me, so we will use Foot Candle, which I went over in the beggining of this article. We tested the light output at 25' increments, up to 200'. Car 1 (Rigid) had a Foot Candle output of 26.90 at 25', 13.90 at 50', 8.50 at 75', 5.20 at 100', 3.70 at 125', 2.50 at 150', 2.00 at 175' and 1.40 at 200'. Car 2 (Vision X) with the 32” had a Foot Candle out put of 20.80' at 25', 8.60 at 50', 4.20 at 75', 2.20 at 100', 1.40 at 125', 0.80 at 150', 0.50 at 175' and 0.30 at 200'. Car 2 (Vision X) with the 42” had a Foot Candle out put of 43.20 at 25', 17.90 at 50', 9.00 at 75', 5.00 at 100', 3.50 at 125', 2.20 at 150', 1.70 at 175' and 1.00 at 200'.

What do all these numbers mean? Well lets look at 2 measurements for comparisons, 25 feet and 200 feet. The Rigid 30” had a reading of 26.90 at 25' while the Vision-X 32” had a reading of 20.80 and the 42” had a reading of 43.20 at 25'.

So at 25' the 42” Vision X bar had the highest reading of light out put. Now, the big one, 200', which is 66 yards, over half the length of a football field. The Rigid 30” had a reading of 1.40 at 200', while the Vision X 32” was reading 0.30 at 200' and the 42” was 1.00 at 200'. So by looking at the measurement we can say that the Rigid 30” LED bar puts out more light at 200' than the 32” & 42” Vision-X LED light bars.

Now we tried our best to take some photos for you to see, but are not the best photographers or have the best camera for taking pictures at night so this is what we can show you. Each picture was taken with each car in the same spot, both cars were at idle and no other accessories were running. Each orange stake shown was at 25 foot increment up to 200 feet, and the reflective sign at the farthest was at 500 feet away.

Picture 1 is the Rigid Industries E-Series 30” LED light bar.

Picture 2 is the Vision-X Xmitter 32” LED light bar.

Picture 3 is the Vision-X Xmitter 42” LED light bar.

picture1.jpg

picture2.jpg

picture3.jpg

And there you have it, that was what we tested and how we tested it. Is one bar better than the other, is there a better bar, is there a cheaper bar, is there a bar with more light out put, less amp draw? Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Take the information found in this article and my tests to make your decision on your purchase if you are looking to buy an LED bar. In summary we can say this. The Rigid 30” had less amp draw, less volts lost, and more light output at 200 feet over the Vision-X 32” & 42” LED light bar. The Vision-X 42” LED light bar put out the most amount of light at 25 feet almost double the amount put out by the Rigid 30” and the Vision-X 32”.

I hope this has been informative

Report and shoot out done by UTVUnderground member Nick

Source of above information

Disclaimer: None of the above information belongs to or comes from me. It's all attributable to the source mentioned above.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Additional notes to point out on each company's product line outside of those listed above

VisionX
  • Double stack Xmitter bars (4 LED's in each column)
  • Solstice Series - (6" Round 10 Watt LED's , 4" square 10 Watt LEDs, 2"x2" LED)
  • Patriot Series - (Most lightoutput/unit size)
  • Reflex Series -10W LED bars
  • Mix beam patterns available on Solstice, Patriot, & Reflex.
  • Patriot and Reflext are highly adjustable as far as strobing and dimming.
  • There's a new Reflex Series from Vision X.
  • You can mix and match beam patterns on the Reflex and Solstice lights.
  • The Reflex, Patriot, and maybe the Solstice series are dimmable.

Rigid Industries
  • Amber LED bars (great for dust and adverse weather conditions)
  • Bars can be mixed and matched (ie 22" of spot with 8" of flood lights on either side

Links:

Vision X Light bars

Rigid Industries light bars

Rigid Industries Specs (interesting)

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome info Dan. I was actually going to order the RI lights. But I was going to go with 4 Individual 6" bars.
Each one does
1.97 Amps
22.8 watts
1920 Lumens

So thats a total of 7680 Lumens at 7.8 Amps. But now I am just thinking it would be cheaper and brighter to go with one 30" RI bar. ALSO, the "E" Series 30" RI bar is now $999.0 So it makes it even more appealing.