Just how much does behind the grill light mount reduce light output?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris51080

Reaction score
Im looking at forward lighting, and very much leaning towards the ONX6+ mounted behind the grill. Im wondering just how much the light output is reduced by the grill. Obviously there is still plenty of light being thrown forward, but are we talking a 10% reduction, or closer to 50% reduction? It ends up changing my thinking, as I am willing to sacrifice some output for being behind the grill, but at some point, Ill just go for an exposed bumper mount.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Im looking at forward lighting, and very much leaning towards the ONX6+ mounted behind the grill. Im wondering just how much the light output is reduced by the grill. Obviously there is still plenty of light being thrown forward, but are we talking a 10% reduction, or closer to 50% reduction? It ends up changing my thinking, as I am willing to sacrifice some output for being behind the grill, but at some point, Ill just go for an exposed bumper mount.
I’d be more concerned with airflow. But there’s a few lighting threads where people have dove into this type of thing.

FWIR it’s negligible unless you are in the dunes flying about.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’d be more concerned with airflow. But there’s a few lighting threads where people have dove into this type of thing.

FWIR it’s negligible unless you are in the dunes flying about.
We have had a number of FRF over the years opening up 'running hot' or 'overheating' threads on their... <cough> "bone stock trucks" while towing. Subsequent pictures showed all manner of lighting obstructions. IIRC, a few were running the FMIC as well and of course, that can't have anything to do with the overheating if it was the last mod. Ditto the lighting that blocks airflow. If it was the last mod, it POSITIVELY was not responsible for the overheating.

I also don't recall ever hearing back on the resolution of these threads :-/
Heavy towing or high rpm, low speed + airflow restriction ~= running higher than usual operating temps.

But, for most use cases, you probably won't notice.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re adding heat also.
I saw a nice install where the guy had the light bar flush with the grill. He cut out the grill and moved the lights forward.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres a thread here somewhere from back in 2014 or 15. we did light comparisons with a lux meter with different lights and at different distances and widths. you lose about 30%

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I mean, yeah some of the light gets blocked but the light is so bright you won't really notice. I'd say maybe 15% gets blocked if I had to guess.

We've got a few kits for behind the grill btw

Lower Grill Kit
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/lower-...021-ford-f-150-raptor-w-kr-off-road-brackets/

1727973060644.png

Upper Grill (Dual Light Bar) Kit
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-d...t-w-kr-off-road-brackets-for-2015-ford-f-150/

1727973088446.png

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Someone should make some good mirror cap lights. Considering the light output from those three inch cube lights, you could get the equivalent of 6 per side. 18-20k lumens each. Plant would grow along the trail. Put all the driver/electronics in the cab or under the hood, just run power. Just like in your kithen