I've Owned my Raptor for 2 Months, It's been at the dealer for Most of it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I need advice. I bought my 2018 GEN 2 raptor around August 10th of this year. This was a "blue certified" vehicle from a dealer with 86,000 miles. After 2 weeks I got my first check engine light. This was a faulty oxygen sensor (must've really done a strong pre purchase inspection!) and it was replaced free of charge. This was the least of my issues. Two weeks after the oxygen sensor was replaced, I began getting low oil pressure warnings. I took it right back to the dealer who replaced the oil pressure sensor and gave it back. As I drove off the lot, the oil pressure warning began again. They claimed it was the oil pump and replaced the oil pump as well as the valve cover. Fast forward to last friday (almost A MONTH LATER), I finally got the car back with a new oil pump. Left the lot and in about 20 min after filling the tank with 91, BAM. Low oil pressure. Took the truck straight back to the dealer. It has now been about a month since I've had possession of my truck (and I've owned it for 2 months). Dealer can't seem to figure out what's causing the issue and I'm stuck regretting my purchase. Any advice guys? I'm a first time buyer who finally decided to treat himself with something nice and it has been a terrible experience.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
It sounds suspicious. Did you get a carfax / oasis report on the vehicle before you bought and if so, what was the previous maintenance history like?

Ok, the 02 sensor; 86k miles?... possible. The oil issue bugs me a little in that is sounds a LOT like they simply replaced the sensor without validating the underlying oil pressure.
THAT sounds bad.

@Old-Raptor-guy & @FordTechOne have collectively forgotten more about these trucks than most of us will ever know about them. They might be able to suggest some possibilities.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Oxygen sensor shouldn't get your pants in a bunch. Oxygen sensor is an electric component that can fail without warning at anytime just like a light bulb.

Unless they have a better crystal ball than me (mine is broken) there is no way they would have known 2 weeks prior to failure it was going to fail.

So just put that one out of your mind.

As for the Oil pressure, are you at a FOMOCO dealer ?? Because oil pump failure would be extremely rare, also would be devastating damage to the engine.
The pump does have an electric bypass valve, it is my understanding that even with a valve stuck all the way open the pump should still maintain 15psi of oil pressure at idle.
Otherwise the pump is all mechanical and mechanical shit doesn't fix itself.

I have had a bunch of these in my shop, and a oil pressure sensor has fixed all of them. But there is some story to that. I believe Ford had a bad batch or something as we have had couple that got sensors replaced about 5 times, all the time with new FOMOCO parts.

I talked to my Ford parts representative at the dealer and he said they were warranting about 80% of the replacements the last few months (this was about 8 months ago).
Lastly we have had a couple with oil leaks from valve cover that drip down and get into the wiring. The only way to repair is new valve cover and replace the pigtail/connector for oil pressure sensor.

The sensor was redesigned in 2017 or 2018 and they have had lots of problems since.

Not sure about the Raptor, but I do know 2018 expedition will go into "limp mode" if the oil pressure is low for more than about 10 seconds. It will limit engine rpm to about 2000. I know this because I had a customer who drove home from about 110 miles away and he said on two of the big mountain passes he was down to 15mph. His was sensor and a connector

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI, oil pump is about a 15 hour job, behind the timing chains. Would have been nice for them to offer to replace phasers/chains at the same time for the cost of the parts.

Just saying