Its not looking good boys...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks folks.

Earl was checked before I sent her in and it was indeed low...

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't post a video, front of the engine is in pieces at the shop... It literally sounds like CAM PHASERs 101. Replaced them with the upgraded ones from FORD.

What are the odds that the new upgrades ones are also damaged?

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still in the shop.

Broke it down again and the noise is around the timing chain area on the bottom side. No one can pinpoint the actual issue, all cam phasers changed and timing belt. I told them to rule out a simple rattling exhaust and lower things in the bottom side of the vehicle.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a lot of workmanship possibilities here. First, has the shop done this repair before? Meaning they’re competent and have all the necessary special tools? The torque spec on the crank bolt is critical; if it was improperly torqued, the crank gear will crack and it will have noise in the area described. Start there.

Phasers do not rattle once the engine is running and has sufficient oil pressure to the heads. Did they check for cam cap scoring? You mentioned it was low on oil, that’s what causes cam journal damage. That bleeds off the oil to the phasers, starving them of oil pressure/volume.

Once the timing cover it off they need to inspect the plug in the block that goes behind the timing cover. It’s critical that it’s not pushed forward and bleeding oil pressure out. I’ll include a picture for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_4520.jpeg
    IMG_4520.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats a good copy. I will call the shop. They have done these ecoboost cam phasers before, I do know, I asked.

@FordTechOne

Let me ask you specifically. When getting a refurbished engine, can I ASSUME that internals are new or no and I should put the newer style cam phasers in that refurbished engine correct? Worst case scenario.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No new updates.

Well it had all the signs of cam phasers and the shop has done phasers before so I assume its all part of the program with them. I have since then looked up engine replacements. I found a shop who has refab 3.5 ecoboosts for $4800...

When they sell these refab or refurbished engines, are they good as NEW?

a reman engine would be new bearings, rings and gaskets.. doubtful they would replace rods/pistons unless there was issues with them during the rebuild process.

they do any machine work needed on the crank/heads/block and reassemble with new gaskets and seals..

hopefully there would be a warranty on the engine, but you are usually on the hook for labor if something goes wrong with it..

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if getting a "new" engine i would pull off a valve cover to verify it has the latest and greatest phasers before install

earl?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for that info.

I may even call that remanufacture to see what the real skinny is. Thanks again.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats a good copy. I will call the shop. They have done these ecoboost cam phasers before, I do know, I asked.

@FordTechOne

Let me ask you specifically. When getting a refurbished engine, can I ASSUME that internals are new or no and I should put the newer style cam phasers in that refurbished engine correct? Worst case scenario.
Depends who’s doing the remanufacturing. If it’s through Ford it will have all new current service level parts. If it’s an aftermarket it’s a gamble, some only replace what is “broken” and reuse the rest.