Inclement Weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maniwpu

Reaction score
Question for you ladies/gents.

I'm in the process of buying my own Raptor, a supercrew with mostly everything minus the vinyl. I was looking at the O.E. tires on tirerack and it said they arent suitable for snow. From your experience, and from what would seem to be obvious to me, do they handle well in the snow?

I would have thought this truck, its orientation and the way its been marketed, would make it a natural monster in the snow.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you in advance.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tire rack is an useful site but just like everything else you cannot take everything you read at face value. The stock tires are not the best for snow but they sure as hell aren't bad. As far as stock tires I'd say they are top 5% for everything you could use them for. That's comparing them to other STOCK tires though.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It depends really... There were quite a few Raptors at the snoball 500 on stock tires. They really did not have much issues until they were in deep snow and lost momentum..

I will say in 90% of the time, a Raptor getting stuck is because of the driver. Most of time the driver is the weakest link in the Raptor.

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Banned
Reaction score
well, ive never driven a raptor, but I have driven a ranger with BFG AT's

and they arent bad. not the best but thats obvious, as they arent a winter tire. my flakens i find better.

however, that being said, a ranger is a lightweight compared to a raptor. And weight plays a huge role in winter driving. more weight, more traction. From reading the forums, I have found most people love their trucks in snow, with the stock tires.

hopefully some of those people will chime in.

just remember, there will always be something better than stock, only question is, do you want to pay for it, when it may only be marginally better, or stock isnt bad at all.

Red

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think that they are fine in snow. But we don't get that much around here. I do think that I will be getting some MT's after the stock ones wear out. I only had a little trouble in deep snow. Same in deep mud. I do miss my bfg MT's. They were great in the mud, sand, etc.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
It depends really... There were quite a few Raptors at the snoball 500 on stock tires. They really did not have much issues until they were in deep snow and lost momentum..

I will say in 90% of the time, a Raptor getting stuck is because of the driver. Most of time the driver is the weakest link in the Raptor.

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Maybe in your case, Greg.:signs6:

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ive ran the oem BFG AT's in the northeast snow a bunch of times. they do well, not the best but they are good enough. never been stuck or anything like that. not sure where u live or where u travel. but if ur just worried about winter in a 4 season area its nothing to worry about. if u live where it snows alot for months then maybe u should look into a better "snow tire"

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran stock tires during the SnoBall and have no complaints at all. If memory serves Mark and Jason said that part of what gave them the idea for the event was a discussion with SVT people regarding the snow driving ability of stock tires. Just going of memory on that, but I believe there was some discussion like that involved. Anyway, I thought the stock tires did fine in the snow. There are better snow tires out there, but as Greg said usually the driver has more to do with getting stuck. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2