ICON Rear 3.0 Bypass Shock install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
This is extremely simple. It literally takes 5-10 minutes per side to swap out the shocks. Jacking up the truck and removing the tires is more time consuming than the act of actually replacing the shocks.

What made this even easier is that I discovered I DID NOT need to grind any material from the top shock mount because I have the stock leaf springs. Your results may vary and with aftermarket leaf packs it's a different story but I was happy to just bolt these bad boys on...

Here is a short video which shows that the top shock cap is not contacting the shock mount at full droop.

I created a stirrup around the brake rotor with a ratchet strap to step in and put my full weight on the axle ensuring full droop. With all my weight on the axle I was able to rotate the shock tube all the way right and left without any contact on the shock mount. Good with me!

ICON Rear Bypass Install - YouTube

You know the drill by now...

First of all, get the truck in the air and remove the tire. If you're using a floor jack be sure to set the e-brake, chock the wheels and USE JACK STANDS.

Safety first. Refer to manufacturer for torque specs. Be sure to check all bolts after 50 miles. This is intended to be a helpful guide to supplement an intermediate automotive knowledge and good automotive repair practices.

- Difficulty:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- Time depending on automotive repair skills, availability to a floor lift and air tools or whether or not you need to grind your shock mount:

30 mins-3 hours

- Tools Needed:

18mm deep socket or wrench (shock mount nuts)
15mm socket or wrench (shock mount bolts)

1. Jack truck up, remove the tire:

DSC00888_zpsb14337ba.jpg

2. Remove the bottom, then the top shock mounting bolts. They are both the exact same size so don't worry about keeping track of which is which.

DSC00889_zpsef7350f5.jpg

DSC00893_zps5f35afa8.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new...

DSC00891_zpsa2e96c59.jpg

3. Place the supplied spacers on each side of the bottom and top ICON shock mounts. They are all the same size.

DSC00892_zps70ccd713.jpg

Reverse the process above to bolt the new ICON shocks in to place and tighten down.

Done!

There are instructions included with the shocks for tuning your shocks I put mine on the Unloaded Street setting which is 4 turns out on the Rebound, 7 Turns out on the short tube and 4 turns out on the long tube.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
fyi- i had to grind to get my icon's to fit with stock leafs.

what made this even easier is that i discovered I DID NOT need to grind any material from the top shock mount because I have the stock leaf springs. Your results may vary and with aftermarket leaf packs it's a different story but i was happy to just bolt these bad boys on...

icon12.gif

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sweet, I hope I get lucky and don't have to grab a grinder when I do mine.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI- I had to grind to get my ICON's to fit with Stock Leafs.

I had to grind mine a lot to make them fit, I have stock leafs as well. Icon changed the top of the shock since I bought mine, not sure if its that or the 2013 mount is different?

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I had to grind mine a lot to make them fit, I have stock leafs as well. Icon changed the top of the shock since I bought mine, not sure if its that or the 2013 mount is different?

It's really not a big deal either way I just figured I would try them first to see how much to grind and they just fit...??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronn