GEN 2 I need some help from the experts. Potential Oil Starvation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
Hi, it's me.

Question for the smart brains in the room (@FordTechOne if he's still with us):

Last week, at 126,572 miles, I got an oil change at a Valvoline Instant Oil Change. Previously I had waxed lyrical about Vavoline as they're professional and do a job (Plus, if I did mine own oil I'd use Valvoline anyway).

This week, at 126,772 miles, I was driving on the highway when I experienced a catastrophic loss of engine oil pressure. At 65 MPH I received the "Low Oil Pressure" advisory on the dash while traveling down I-5 in San Diego. Instantly let off the accelerator, made my way to the shoulder, and shut the truck off. After letting it sit for a minute, I elected to turn the vehicle back on. I had previously gotten the "Low Oil Pressure" warning when the oil level was low and pressure was back to normal on restart. After turning the vehicle on I heard lifter noise within seconds and shut the truck back down. Total on time, maybe 5 seconds.

I hopped out of the truck to grab oil from the back, since I always carry a couple quarts, and by the time I made back up to the front of the vehicle I saw that all of the oil (or a very large portion of it) had drained out the vehicle. I called a tow truck, thankfully covered by USAA, and had it towed back to the shop where I had just picked up the truck from a front bumper repair. They offered to pay for the tow, in case something they had did had caused the oil loss. When it was dropped off they broke out flashlights to look and see what had gone wrong. During the inspection we found the oil drain plug sitting on the skid plate. My guess is that the oil drain plug was improperly installed.

I called Valvoline the next morning and they offered to redo the service after they towed the truck to their shop. I insisted on having the motor inspected by a Ford Dealer. They tried to meet me halfway by saying they'd have it inspected at a local shop. I once again insisted on a Ford Dealer and they're going to corporate to ask for the money to have it inspected at a dealer.

My questions for the group:
1) What am I looking for, what am I making sure is inspected by Ford?
2) Is this cut and dry improper installation of the plug or could there be other issues associated with the motor?
3) Am I completely ***** and join a spectator role on this forum (Which would crush me because I love this truck)?

Pictures, for a sad reference.

tempImagey58EtP.jpg

plug-2.jpg