How to accurately appraise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FarmersFight

Reaction score
I'm contemplating selling my 2018 SCREW. I've gotten different prices from NADA, KBB, Carvana, etc. They seem to all vary by thousands of dollars. How would you all best determine the value if you were selling? I've compared some of the ones being sold on here, and the appraised prices on the before-mentioned sites don't always align.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

localbrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are so many factors that play into the value; location, specs, condition, mileage, history, etc. Just look at Autotrader set your radius, see what's out there, then expand your search. Do your research here too, look in garage section as to what's been sold. You can filter eBay for sold listings too (doesn't always equal exact price). Kinda hard to say TBH, market and time of year play a part too. Just do you best searching around put up there see if you get hits, if not lower the price to what you feel comfortable with. Private party is always usually less than what dealers sell for because they have markup and some sunk costs. Are you trading in or just flat out selling? If trading in you can take advantage of the trade in tax credit usually as well.

OP
OP
FarmersFight

FarmersFight

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

Will be buying something else, but the trade-in values seem low compared to the selling prices. To your point, if I sold it Private Party, it might be for less, but then you lose the tax credit on a trade-in. Trade-in value just seems so low-- hard for me to wrap my brain around...

localbrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call around to different dealers. The Ford dealership gave me an insane value for my Tundra, when I traded it on my 2019 Raptor.

A month ago I was considering upgrading my wife's RR, it's near mint with LOW miles, was looking at a newer RR Sport and when they gave me my trade in value on our RR, I laughed. There are certain cases it makes more sense to sell privately. We decided to keep it for now.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
you’re only a couple posts away from being able to sell here in the garage sale section. Lots of Texans on FRF and plenty of peeps looking for a solid Jen Too.

Would you be willing to provide some details ahead of time? Maybe an FRF would be willing to give her a good home.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I noticed some online websites that will actually offer to buy your vehicle, like carvana or vroom, it depends on the age & mileage and how many they have in inventory.
Carvana offered me 4k less compared to the local dealers first offer.

So, it may not be the best number when looking around. Gone are the days of Carvana sending out crackhead offers trying to gobble up all the used cars lol.

I noticed my truck year and mileage locally(100mile range) was listed for 39-41k.
So, I was gunning for 35k. Got a little more on a back and forth.

Was debating selling it privately, but the offer was good enough and with the trade in "credit" I may of received 1-2k more but may of lost out on the truck I wanted.