Group Buy for an aftermarket Hood/Bed Graphics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have an update and I think this may kill the project.

As everyone knows, the Ford factory hood graphic combines a matted/flat vinyl with a gloss colored vinyl (Raptor text). The OEM graphic also has different colors. In other words, the factory graphic is one layer of vinyl.

In talking with my graphic contact, creating a hood graphic like ford is not possible. He tells me that Ford has a very expensive machine that is able to combine multiple layers of vinyl into one layer.

For example, to produce a factory like graphic, he would have a flat/matted black hood graphic then he would have the "Raptor" in a gloss finish on top. So for every color or different type of finish, he would have a different vinyl layer and they would stack on top of each other.

When I was looking into a less expensive alternative to the factory hood graphic I found a guy on Ebay. He's no longer on Ebay but now I see him on Amazon. This is his description for his hood graphic:

"If you have a 2011 or 2012 Raptor and it did not come with the F-150 Raptor SVT hood graphics, here they are at a fraction of what they cost at your local Ford dealer. These 3M cast vinyl, matte black finish with silver and clear are the same size and shape as the originals that come on the hood of the truck, the only slight difference between the original graphics and the one that I am offering is the texture. If you run your hand across the OEM graphics there is a very, very slight feeling of the letters and numbers and it costs $1,000.00 at a Ford dealer. If you run your hand over the hood graphics that I am selling you will also feel the letters and numbers but they are raised about 1 millimeter more and they are only $399.00. Free Shipping only in the continental United States "

As you can see this guy is basically admitting that his graphic is multiple layers.

SO... I doubt you guys would want to receive a hood graphic in 3-4 different sheets of vinyl. Also applying it could be challenging as the 2nd, 3rd, ect layer of vinyl would have to be exactly straight on the hood.

MasterChief

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you should be able to do a cutout of the design....if people wanted lettering to be the color of the truck it would work, or a small 1mm outline could still give the appearance. Not the same....but option. I personally would like the side flares and hood in straight flat black with raptor cutout on the hood.

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
I'm very interested in this and what a great price!! I'm all in for as stock as possible, 2012/2013 style for hood and bed! PM fixing to be sent so I can be added to the list.

Hawkeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an update and I think this may kill the project.

As everyone knows, the Ford factory hood graphic combines a matted/flat vinyl with a gloss colored vinyl (Raptor text). The OEM graphic also has different colors. In other words, the factory graphic is one layer of vinyl.

In talking with my graphic contact, creating a hood graphic like ford is not possible. He tells me that Ford has a very expensive machine that is able to combine multiple layers of vinyl into one layer.

For example, to produce a factory like graphic, he would have a flat/matted black hood graphic then he would have the "Raptor" in a gloss finish on top. So for every color or different type of finish, he would have a different vinyl layer and they would stack on top of each other.

When I was looking into a less expensive alternative to the factory hood graphic I found a guy on Ebay. He's no longer on Ebay but now I see him on Amazon. This is his description for his hood graphic:

"If you have a 2011 or 2012 Raptor and it did not come with the F-150 Raptor SVT hood graphics, here they are at a fraction of what they cost at your local Ford dealer. These 3M cast vinyl, matte black finish with silver and clear are the same size and shape as the originals that come on the hood of the truck, the only slight difference between the original graphics and the one that I am offering is the texture. If you run your hand across the OEM graphics there is a very, very slight feeling of the letters and numbers and it costs $1,000.00 at a Ford dealer. If you run your hand over the hood graphics that I am selling you will also feel the letters and numbers but they are raised about 1 millimeter more and they are only $399.00. Free Shipping only in the continental United States "

As you can see this guy is basically admitting that his graphic is multiple layers.

SO... I doubt you guys would want to receive a hood graphic in 3-4 different sheets of vinyl. Also applying it could be challenging as the 2nd, 3rd, ect layer of vinyl would have to be exactly straight on the hood.

You are correct. Installation would be a challenge. I think the original supplier may lower the price after production of the current model finishes.

We should wait a while and see.

Milez28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much for just a matte black hood that goes all the way to the grill?

I will order the "RAPTOR SVT" from Billet Customs and place it on top (they are cheap so if it doesn't hold up I can just take it off and leave it matte black)

Milez28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know who's truck this is, but that's what he did.....

Attachments

• dsc0020customc.jpg
    dsc0020customc.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 109

Reeking_HVAC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know who's truck this is, but that's what he did.....

This is basically what I want... Except I want the raptor die cut as an outline and svt cut out completely.

If we are not going ahead with the group buy, would you mind sending me a pm with the vinyl guys contact info?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on just some satin black vinyl, a roll of it wide enough to cover the truck like in the above picture??