Going from Trx to Raptor r

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep me updated love to see your thoughts
Will do! I’m typically not in and out of vehicles but I got lucky with an allocation and didn’t want to pass it up

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I went from a 2020 EcoPoop Raptor to a 2021 TRX. I’ve said it multiple times, if you’re pushing the truck off road the Raptor (regular/37/R) is probably the better choice. The Raptor overall has a better suspension and it’s lighter in all forms. I think the 2024 vs any model TRX interior/exterior looks comes down to personal opinion. At just over 33,000 miles my TRX has so far proven to be reliable with the driveline clunk being the only issue (it will get addressed for the 3rd time the next time I have it serviced).

I really like my TRX, and the only other vehicle I’d consider at this time would be the Raptor R. I got the TRX when it was a good deal (sticker price was $85,500 and after discounts I paid $79,000 with the extended warranty). The TRX in 2024 when it was over $100,000 (my truck in 24 was around $112,000) was just too damn expensive (don’t get me started on the $120,000 “Special Edition” trucks).

I think both the TRX and the R have their pro’s and con’s. I’ve never drive the R so I can’t directly compare it to the TRX. That said, I think it’s one hell of a truck, and I’m glad Ford has kept it around instead of the lame duck RHO that Ram is giving us for 2025!

Dev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s my feedback on the TRX, 24 802A and 24 R

TRX - I had the truck for about a year. Had a lower pulley, s&b intake, stealth PPF, 37’s, springs, muffler delete. Averaged about 8MPG

Pros: Supercharger whine, interior had 0 quality issues, awesome exhaust note, gnarly launches, very planted feel, felt decent off road but heavy

Cons: the infamous clunk, heavy steering, suspension was inconsistent, power came on strong but fell off, visibility all around wasn’t the best

24 802A - I only got this truck as I wasn’t confident I’d get the allocation for the R. No mods

Pros: Very refined suspension, steering felt smooth and direct, power was great even for the 3.5, rock solid truck, phenomenal off road

Cons: exhaust note for me wasn’t enjoyable, sunroof leaked in car wash, and that’s about it

24 R - waited for a few years to finally get my number called for an allocation. No mods yet but have front PPF scheduled for peace of mind - I’ve only had it a few hours so take the pros and cons with a grain of salt

Pros: I can’t tell a huge difference in the weight VS the 802A. Feels much lighter than the TRX and the steering is great. Power seems to hit and keep pulling

Cons: exhaust sounds a little “tin” like - idk how else to describe it. The Supercharger/induction sound is odd. It doesn’t feel leaps and bounds better than the TRX or 802A (on road) I haven’t had it off-road yet and I’m sure it’ll be amazing.

TLDR; all 3 are awesome trucks and a lot of what’s great about them is personal preference. To say 1 is way better than the other is a stretch. All within a few % of each other in my opinion.

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really good thread, guys...thanks for keeping it "civil".

I came from a '17 Gen2 and love loved that truck! Got a 24 TRX Final Edition, and now have learned the Cartel wants it more than I do. Soooo...I am now wondr'in...hmmm, is it worth it??

I'M SERIOUSLY considering leaving my TRX to get an R...or even an 802, SOLELY on the "safety" of having it and not getting an ulcer worrying if it'll get stolen.

I've driven the '24 801, 802, 802 with 37's lifted, RR stock, RR lifted with 20's and...no surprise, LOVE the drive of the R. The Raptor has a more smooth "cush" feel, just as our Gen1 and Gen2 had; we always called it the Cadillac of trucks when it comes to a comfortable ride.

Forget exterior "looks", cuz it's SO subjective. I like both for different reasons. That said, I think the Raptor has more design cues on every panel than the TRX. So when you view a TRX from the rear or quarter-panel, you're hard pressed to notice the difference...I guess, unless, you're the Cartel! LOL. But, that front of the TRX is just a sexy menacing beast!

THE. ONE. EXTERIOR. THING that just makes my OCD-scab bleed, IS THE FRIGGIN' ANTENNA on the Raptor!!!!!! Come on, FORD...LOSE THAT STUPID THING...give it back to the 90's!!!!! GEESH...you're making the Amazon sellers with chinese stubbies a lot of money. So, yeah, the TRX's exterior is super "clean" in that respect...minor MINOR nit.

You guys nailed the "drive" experience; flat out, the TRX is a BEAST in every way. Whether or not the R is faster really doesn't matter, because other 99.98% of the time, you're having an eargasm listening to the SC whine, and the exhaust tone! I wonder how many times I've done a Remote Start JUST to listen to it "fire up"...so friggin cool. I did it, a bunch, to the R...and was left wanting. I describe the R's sound almost like the old "Glasspacks"...it's smooth and mellow. I love it, it's just NOT the TRX, which is just a great, narly sound without being obnoxious like some kid that's deleted his Hellcat.

Now..the interior! As most reviews point out, the TRX interior is notches above the Raptor. The refinements, accents, finishes, and materials definitely have the better eye candy and texture feel....point TRX.

The DASH and all the electronic goodies...whoa...no contest...TRX is so far out in front with it's gauges, performance & race pages (apps), camera, HUGE vertical display and fully customizable...thanks to the Android-based system......annnnnnndd, boom.....that's where it ends! LOL. Cuz, yeah...it's as the critics say, a bit of a hot mess and takes a REAL propeller head a long time to get used to...like maybe from Missouri to Californi...just to feel somewhat like you've gotta handle on it. Really pretty cool, though, the way it can be set up, and DANG has it got a ton of info to play with.

SPEAKING OF DASH...um...LAUNCH CONTROL? OH, geez...what a toy that is!! Shaves at least 30 years off of me every time I even open that app!

The feel of the console is so nice, and YES...THEY DID SOMETHING ABOUT THAT STUPID RED-HOT BRANDING IRON plaque!! So funny, when I looked at the Final Edition, that's THE first thing I checked when I got in, and was so pleased to see it's been coated and does NOT retain the heat (and I'd know now, because it's been 2,000 degrees this month!).

Let's talk about THE TWO BIGGEST ELEPHANTS, as far as I'm concerned: THE SHIFTER and the REAR SEATS!!

First, the easy one...the shifter in the Raptor is a disgrace...floppy, odd, non-conventional, no manual shift, AND IT FRIGGIN RATTLES. And, scuze me...what Raptor owner gives a RIP about laying it down so they can "do work" on the console...but hey, you've got a contractor's conversion chart just in case. (if any of you do use this, please don't be insulted by my tongue in cheek anger). The TRX shifter feels so good, and has the manual bump-shift toggle that I so love. I really miss the conventional shifter and thumb-toggle on my Gen2! That "M" button on the Raptor is just not what I'd consider "off-road driver" friendly.

Ok, go ahead, roll your eyes. That's ok.

Alright...NOW...in the hopes this will get back to FORD, there are two features of the TRX back seats that set it WAY APART from the Raptor: COOLING and RECLINING!! This is really a "dumb" criticism in many people's eyes because most would say "gimme a break, do YOU sit back there?" or, "how often does anyone sit back there?" Totally fair, but...to BE FAIR in a comparison, I think it's a major feature that DOES make a HUGE difference in the feel and comfort of the TRX.

Finally, let's NOT forget the price!!! A Final Edition TRX can be easily found any day for under MSRP...and I don't need to tell you about the R...stupid and insane. Fact is...good luck trying to break a difference of $10k if you're really good and patient. Hoping it's not for "bad reasons"...but probably dreamin' that it's not.

My TRX is still VERY new, so I haven't experienced any of the negative mechanical issues other have mentioned. I love both of these trucks and, quite frankly, have found so many things I really love about the TRX that I wouldn't have expected. So, the decision is a tough one!! I hope this gives more feedback.

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a recent owner of a 24R came out of a 22 Gen3 now I have not driven a TRX but before I got the R I was looking a a 24 Final Edition TRX here in Vegas the MSRP was a whopping 127K plus dealership markup. I really did like the interior of the TRX a lot over the Raptor but I just could not get in to the look of the truck maybe because I have always been a Raptor guy this is my 3rd truck.

I just don't like the front end on the TRX. I got lucky and got a Avalanche 24R right off the truck had to pay markup but thats the world we live in these days and I am not getting any younger and had the disposable funds to do it. Two of my co workers have 24 Final Edition TRX's and we all park next to each other and the R just looks so much better IMO. I could not be happier with my 24R it an amazing truck in every way. Taking nothing away from the TRX is a awesome truck too. I think Ram should have kept the SC V8 in it and and just made it better every refresh.

IMG_2238.jpgIMG_2237.jpg

Attachments

• Raptor R.jpeg
    Raptor R.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 7