Gen 3 right rear shock, warranty or wait?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
This right rear on my 2023 has had seepage since 300 miles, I've got 1000K on it now and it's slightly worse. Should I take it in, or is this seepage not enough to be a concern (yet)? RR shock leak front view.jpgRR shock leak side view.jpg

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your warranty will cover shocks for the first year or 12K miles after that its a wear and tear item!! I would take it in before that runs out!!! Im not 100% sure if shocks are a 3/36 warranty item! Call your dealer and ask!

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This right rear on my 2023 has had seepage since 300 miles, I've got 1000K on it now and it's slightly worse. Should I take it in, or is this seepage not enough to be a concern (yet)? View attachment 466672View attachment 466673
This is not a shock leak. If you clean it off a few times eventually it won’t come back. The cause is assembly lube used in the joint between the shock body and that top bit. Notice how it’s spreading more or less evenly in all directions. That’s because it’s a grease. Shock oil is much thinner and runs down the sides of the shock.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not a shock leak. If you clean it off a few times eventually it won’t come back. The cause is assembly lube used in the joint between the shock body and that top bit. Notice how it’s spreading more or less evenly in all directions. That’s because it’s a grease. Shock oil is much thinner and runs down the sides of the shock.
Exactly.

Ford even has a General Service Bulletin to clarify that concerns like OP’s are non-warrantable.