Gen 2 High Mileage - Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2017 SCREW Raptor - 160k miles
had cam phasers done twice under warranty and all other service and recalls

We tow a small travel trailer a lot and I am wondering what other high mileage gen 2s are out there. Truck runs great no noises and trans fluid has looked clean each flush. What would be early signs of this truck not being able to make it another 50k? Would i hear noises from transmission or engine? what checks could a mechanic do? I just don't want it to fail while on a trip with family. I really like the truck and understand its probably near the end. What do you all think?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Its mot likely to just “fail” and leave you stranded. As mileage increases other support and convenience systems are what usually cause issues. Does it need much “boost” to tow the trailer, or is it easy running?

julien194b

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it seem you are serious with the maintenance truck, so don't look for problem where there is no, I guess plenty others gen 2 owners have more miles , 160K miles is not the end !

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Its mot likely to just “fail” and leave you stranded. As mileage increases other support and convenience systems are what usually cause issues. Does it need much “boost” to tow the trailer, or is it easy running?
No it tows just fine - it’s not a heavy trailer maybe 5k fully loaded.

EagleRaptor

Reaction score
If you have already been changing the fluid I wouldn't worry too much there are lots of reported high mileage examples over 200k. Yes lots of reported issues too on the 10r80, its really a gamble on how long it goes but if you maintained it well its probably fine for a good while. I'm well over 100k with 1 fluid change and mine still runs great also, no complaints ever. Like another poster said its likely just going to fail suddenly, but same is true on a newer one so who knows. I say run it

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 105k, with a pan drop and filter at 95k.
Way I see it, a new trans and/or motor is still cheaper than the depreciation of driving a new one off the lot.
The more I replace wear items on my 2018 the more I'm inclined to just keep running it.
I wasn't blown away when driving my buddys 2023 enough to wish I owned one.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm at 105k, with a pan drop and filter at 95k.
Way I see it, a new trans and/or motor is still cheaper than the depreciation of driving a new one off the lot.
The more I replace wear items on my 2018 the more I'm inclined to just keep running it.
I wasn't blown away when driving my buddys 2023 enough to wish I owned one.
I feel the same after driving a gen 3 37 truck last week. Plus way better aftermarket support for gen2 from mild to wild. The goose 750 package on gen 2’s is already beating stock raptor r’s in drag race as an example. I dont feel the need to have an ipad on my dash. Coil spring are nice but leafs are like 80% as good with properly air’d tires. Also the countless suspension mods and mid arm kits etc…

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
The new(er) Ford vehicles are neutered in do many ways, its 1984 in action. Anything past 2021 is a hard NO for me. I believe there is a showdown with technology and consumers coming like nothing we've seen before. Just be ready, or at least not surprised when the Fed govt tries to take control of every aspect of your life, blatantly. If your vehicles have “connectivity”, the Fed will shut it down soon for a “test” just like the recent “denial of service” internet hack. Yes it was a test disguised as a “hack”.