Gen 1 Vs Gen 2 Shocks Facts Only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, this sucks. I'm upgrading my rear shocks to Gen 2 (2017) 3.0 Foxes. During the conversion from the Fox valving to regular Schrader valves, the tap cut 4 or 5 turns before the (blue) reservoir cap started to rotate. Now, I'm trying to find a local shop that's equipped to take apart the pair of reservoirs, clamp the caps in a proper round vise, complete drilling, tapping , and installing the Schraders, then reassembling and charging them.

Attachments

• 20241023_120639.jpg
    20241023_120639.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to just push the cap down, remove the circlip and pull the cap out. Then just chuck it in a vise with some soft jaws and finish tapping. maybe find a used lathe chuck to clamp it in if you need more force and don't want to put some flat spots on the cap.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping I can find someone local to do it that already has the correct size clamp and a bottle of nitrogen. It sounds like it's about an hour for both of them, so that's the good news.