Gen 1 Side Frame Reinforcement (Bucket to Body Mount)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speedhunter

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wanting some feedback from the community on reinforcing the frame between the bucket and body mount.

I have heard this can be a common point of failure where the frame can bend or crack. I've seen some aftermarket kits that offer a plate for reinforcing this area. I saw that RPG Offroad also offers a doubler plate for Gen 2 trucks in this area.

One of the pictures is from a Blitzkrieg Gen 1 kit that includes the reinforcement plate.

Some of my questions:
  • Has anyone bent or cracked their frame here?
  • Does anyone offer a reinforcement plate for a Gen 1 that is not in a complete kit?
  • Would it be a good idea to weld on another plate below or above this area?
  • Has anyone made their own version of these plates?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 7.12.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 7.12.30 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 7.12.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 7.12.50 PM.png
    445.9 KB · Views: 36

IDI-Charlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a factory plate there that can rustjack and cause issues, in fact I'm getting ready to cut mine out and replace with some new plates. Rustjacking on it has gotten to where I can't ignore it any longer.

I've personally only seen one case of a truck bending there from a nose dive. The couple of other cases I've heard of issues arising in that area were all due to rust.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's a factory plate there that can rustjack and cause issues, in fact I'm getting ready to cut mine out and replace with some new plates. Rustjacking on it has gotten to where I can't ignore it any longer.

I've personally only seen one case of a truck bending there from a nose dive. The couple of other cases I've heard of issues arising in that area were all due to rust.

I'd say if you planted the nose that hard you probably got other issues going on as well. lol

OP
OP
Speedhunter

Speedhunter

Reaction score
I imagine that would be a hard hit nosediving the truck to the point the frame bends.

I did notice the truck does have a factory plate there. It's pretty thin metal and isn't even welded all the way around. It is on the side of the frame and extends a little bit on the top of the frame as well.

I've seen photos of this rusting out too.

Are you planning on plating just the side of the frame or other parts in that area as well?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 4.54.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 4.54.05 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mine bent underneath where the shock bucket is as seen in the pictures, reinforce it there for sure. Haven’t seen one bend further back than the bucket. I had an SVC frame cut bumper and when I nosed dived at Raptoberfest in 2015, the two front pockets that are exposed hit the ground after it slid down the skid plate and that force bent the frame. I ended up getting the frame replaced. I also went to the hospital a few days later for back pain and found that I shattered one of my discs, no surgery, the bone healed on its own over time.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0097.jpeg
    IMG_0097.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 24

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine bent underneath where the shock bucket is as seen in the pictures, reinforce it there for sure. Haven’t seen one bend further back than the bucket. I had an SVC frame cut bumper and when I nosed dived at Raptoberfest in 2015, the two front pockets that are exposed hit the ground after it slid down the skid plate and that force bent the frame. I ended up getting the frame replaced. I also went to the hospital a few days later for back pain and found that I shattered one of my discs, no surgery, the bone healed on its own over time.

I was gonna say, with a hit like that, I gotta imagine that there was some damage to you!