Gen 1 Raptor vs. SD Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new 6.2 long block (Ford reman.) for less than $4k. OEM is plenty capable for my needs.
I will keep that in mind. Didn't know about them. But if I can I wanna keep it numbers matching. It's a while down the road for me. If it ain't broke then don't fix it

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought that 10K short block, head bolts, billet gear oil pump, valve spring kit with rocker braces, and all new timing chains and components
How ya like it and how long have you been driving with it? And just curious, dud you have some sort of engine failure that you had to do it?

RaptorHound

Reaction score
How ya like it and how long have you been driving with it? And just curious, dud you have some sort of engine failure that you had to do it?
The new Livernois 6.2 stroked to 6.7 is still on the way. Supposed to deliver in 3 days. Line honed, balanced components, I beam rods, coated pistons, etc .. still stock compression which suits my Whipple puffer. I ran my 2010 6.2 59,000 mile 5K on full synthetic. Coming up on that oil change due date, it started knocking badly. Never had any idiot lights. Oil was off the stick. Never leaked a drop or smoked. But I hurt it with low oil. Shop said as little as 4 to 6 lbs pressure will turn off the light. It’s parked so I don’t ventilate the block. I expect I’ll rebuild the pullout motor as Livernois didn’t want the core. Made big power before .. New motor will add a little more power with the extra 24 cubes. We’ll carefully examine my heads and cams when we get it pulled out. I’m also installing AutoMeter Elite gauges on new A pillar with flashing warning light for idiots.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Livernois 6.2 stroked to 6.7 is still on the way. Supposed to deliver in 3 days. Line honed, balanced components, I beam rods, coated pistons, etc .. still stock compression which suits my Whipple puffer. I ran my 2010 6.2 59,000 mile 5K on full synthetic. Coming up on that oil change due date, it started knocking badly. Never had any idiot lights. Oil was off the stick. Never leaked a drop or smoked. But I hurt it with low oil. Shop said as little as 4 to 6 lbs pressure will turn off the light. It’s parked so I don’t ventilate the block. I expect I’ll rebuild the pullout motor as Livernois didn’t want the core. Made big power before .. New motor will add a little more power with the extra 24 cubes. We’ll carefully examine my heads and cams when we get it pulled out. I’m also installing AutoMeter Elite gauges on new A pillar with flashing warning light for idiots.
Very Interested in this. Please keep me posted. I'm looking into all options for a future project with my Beloved Truck

RaptorHound

Reaction score
Be glad to .. it will be a bit.
I will keep that in mind. Didn't know about them. But if I can I wanna keep it numbers matching. It's a while down the road for me. If it ain't broke then don't fix it
I had checked into a Ford reman long block from Ford and even from Jasper engines as they have a good rep. But unavailable. A short block was available from Ford, but I opted for the Livernois

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be glad to .. it will be a bit.

I had checked into a Ford reman long block from Ford and even from Jasper engines as they have a good rep. But unavailable. A short block was available from Ford, but I opted for the Livernois
What was the price difference between Ford and Livernois? I'm leaning towards Livernois since it comes with Forged Internals since whenever I do it I'm going to Super Charge it and then thus would be my Retirement project. I already had all the necessary body work done. All I need is a rebuild and whatever modes I think of. It Still Runs perfectly fine in every way with 190k miles in it. Either way this would be cheaper than buying a new one and besides I LOVE V8 MUSCLE

shevy87

Reaction score
Hi all -

I posted about this earlier but wanted to bring this up again to see if anyone else on here has more info. The engine on my 2014 failed (long story). I was able to buy an unused Ford remanufactured E-350 long block for cheap. I've been around the world and back trying to figure out what parts I need to swap in order to get the SD motor to the Raptor specs & power. I talked to Livernois - who sent me to Ford Performance - but I'm still struggling to find some answers before I pay to have the new motor installed to find out I needed to use different heads or something like that.

I was certain the cams were differerent but Ford Performance confirmed today that the cams and phasers are actually identical specs. If that's the case, why is there a -26hp and -29 lb-ft penalty for the SD engine? Is it maybe only a tuning / intake type variance or is there something else I'm not thinking about that needs to be changed in the SD engine?

Any engine builders in here who might know? It's beginning to look like the 6.2 SD engine is actually identical to the 6.2 Raptor engine (other than the obvious ancilary items like oil filter housing, etc).

I'm really trying to find the answer to this since there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about the topic.

Thanks in advance!

From Ford Performance -
View attachment 462062

From F150hub.com -
View attachment 462061

Current Status-
View attachment 462072
Speak to Jim Jr at JDM. His crew did an engine swap for me when all we could find as an SD 6.2 I was told at the time the cam was different but it could all be sorted out with their custom tune.