Gen 1 Easier to change plugs when struts are being swapped?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. The location of the passenger side strut tower is the impediment, not the strut itself. It's anything but an insurmountable problem. All it takes is some ingenuity and a decent collection of tools.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's easier to do everything you can think of, after removing the wheel well liners. There's gonna be lots of dead bugs, leaves, spiderwebs, etc, behind them, so a pressure washer might help. Access to your lower 8 plugs, struts, iwe lines, heat shields, is much faster. Once you're under there, definitely take the time to locate the ground wire connections to the frame and clean them too.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As it pertains to just changing the spark plugs, I didn't have any particular difficulty with the front wheels dismounted and the wheel well liners left in place. One man's personal experience.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can get them all from the top, no problem. You don't have to go from the sides at all.

You won't be able to see them, but you can easily lay on the core support/engine and reach down to get both sides. Well I could at least- I'm 6'3".