Ford GEN2 Engine Start Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@smurfslayer looking at 2019 Raptor with about 42K Miles, this startup sound normal?
sounds pretty quiet for an ecoboost if you ask me. if that was a full cold start, I’d be ok with it. Anyone else hear anything abnormal?

vk35

Reaction score
@smurfslayer @vk35 Do the 2020 Gen2 have the cam issues as well?
I believe so? If you search the forum, I’m sure there are lots of info about that. For what it’s worth, I have a 2018 that I purchased knowing they replaced the cam phasers in 2021. Unfortunately I didn’t check the PNs so they actually installed old rev cam phasers according to my tech. I am now back at the dealer replacing my cam phasers now. Luckily it’s covered under CPO.

Advise: check with ford if the cam phasers were replaced by giving them the vin. If they were, ask about the PN. Lots of info on forums to cross check against.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@FordTechOne knows the dates far better. My recollection is early ’19 was the release of the latest revision phaser part(s), and I believe shortly after the re-programming for the duty cycle was done. I think the 2020’s have both the newest parts and the duty cycle programming.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne knows the dates far better. My recollection is early ’19 was the release of the latest revision phaser part(s), and I believe shortly after the re-programming for the duty cycle was done. I think the 2020’s have both the newest parts and the duty cycle programming.
So build date cutoff was 11/30/2019, which was part way through 2020 model year production.