Driver Door Passive Lock / Unlock - Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just over a month ago my driver's door passive lock / unlock started to work intermitently. Finally found the issue, but not until going down the Internet rabbit hole trying everything I could find. Tried both FOBs, changed FOB battery, tested main truck battery (good, but needed charging probably due to mostly short trips), charged the battery and reset BCM, I had moved bumper lights to Aux 3 and 4 so moved them back, reversed all my Forscan changes, unplugged the aux reverse lights from the OEM taillight connection, reset DTC multiple times, etc. I could get the locks to work sometimes after some of the changes, but turns out that was all coincidental.

I stumbled onto the solution....found that when it was not working I could play with the handle and the lock/unlock and get it to work. Then it would work until I drove it the next time. So I got to thinking maybe something loose / defective in the handle....I was about to order a new handle as not too expensive, but decided to pull the handle and check for broken / loose connections first and to verify the handle's part number.

And BINGO, found that the wire harness clip was not fully snapped onto the handle. As soon as I pulled the handle loose (only one 5mm screw) and pulled a little on the handle it came right out without the connection to the harness. There is almost no slack in this harness to be able to pull it out of the door contrary to what a lot of Internet videos show. So pulled the interior door panel and connected the harness back onto the handle and it has now worked 100% of the time since finding this.

So after finally putting my thinking cap on a bit tighter, I don't think this was Ford...I believe it was when my PPF installer removed the door handles to do PPF. That was done in May. The truck was not driven much until August when took it on long trip and bounced it down the beach. That was the first time I had an intermittent issue. Now to put all the Forscan and light changes back to the way I like them. :rolleyes: