Can't be normal: Transmission makes loud hard shifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IamNomad

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Raptor with 15,000 miles on it. I bought it new so it is still under warranty. I did a search but could not find a topic like this one.

On a recent long road trip (2000 miles roundtrip) I noticed a number of uncharacteristic jerky downshifts when coming to a stop. Normal driving, not hot rodding.

More concerning were a couple of very loud harsh shifts (sounded like a bang) at medium to highway speeds. Even my wife noticed them and wondered what it was.

I am pretty sure I was in sport mode (usually am) when the behavior was noticed. I switched to normal mode in the hopes that sport mode was the problem as we had
hundreds of miles to go before we could get home. We made it home with no further issues.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of transmission behavior before? I have another similar road trip to make soon and don't want to get stranded.
I plan to call my Ford dealership tomorrow and would like people's input beforehand. Thanks in advance.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd recommend disconnecting the battery for 30min and then drive the truck in normal mode like a grandmother driving to church for a bit so the transmission will relearn.

I've noticed over the years with my 18, 19 and now 23 that if I go back and forth between sport while driving like an a-hole and then normal and granny driving, the transmission get's confused and then just makes everything harder.