Can anyone help me identify this leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waveripper

Reaction score
What's up guys? I just acquired a 2018 Gen 2 and in less than 2 weeks I started seeing oil on the pavement...essentially under the passenger side square hole in the skid plate (2nd generic pic below shows approximate location). Can't see much from the top, but from the front-right wheel well I could definitely see closer to the source (1st pic below is the actual picture i'm starting with). I can investigate further, get more pics, etc., but from this pic does anyone have experience with this, an idea of what is likely the source of the leak, or recommendations for further troubleshooting? Vacuum pump maybe?

Thanks!

raptor_leak_3.jpg

1712785326274.png

fordrat

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was looking to buy my raptor I was looking at 2017s doing some research I found that 2017s had plastic oil pans and they were I guess a lot of them so some time in 2018 they changed them to aluminum so there are some 2018s that might still have plastic, I bought a 2019 but I wasn’t really looking for that at the time. but that’s something to consider hope this will help with the process of elimination

OP
OP
W

waveripper

Reaction score
Thanks for the initial feedback guys. Checked the oil pan and it's definitely not plastic.

As for oil residue from oil changes, it's constantly leaking on the asphalt every time i park, the top of the skid plate is freshly soaked, and there's oil splattered all around the front-right underside of the truck.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Likely cracked valve cover. However it could be several causes. Either clean it up and look for it or take it to a trusted shop, if there is such a thing…

fordrat

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would wipe everything down as best as possible then have someone you trust start the truck while you’re under it or whenever you think it’s leaking from and see if you can find it

fordrat

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck I hope you can find it and it’s not a big problem just something simple ( keep your fingers crossed)