Blower Motor Vibrates the cab, Blend Door Broke, DIY fix it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had this fun times happen las night on the way home. Whole cab started vibrating like one of @Oldfart good time goat rallies. Kinda thought I had reinitiated into the 6.2 window club......you never get over that feeling or concern of it happening again.

there was really noting here about the blend door holder/stop/grommet whatever you wanna call it doohickey falling in the squirrel fan and vibrating the while ghatsdahm cab like crazy.

tear down and rebuild.:

if your blower motor starts doing this crap, and wont quit with any sort of tuen on/off restart or system change, it is probably this little hunk of blend door goodness hung in your fan motor

theres three screws holding in your glove box door, I took mine off, not really needed, gave a tiniest bit more room. 7mm

20240922_132925.jpg

then there are these 3 *******. 8 MM and two are somewhat easy and #3 in the rear close to the firewall is the p.i.t.a. take off the fuse panel door for better ratcheting action on the far right one. unclip the wiring harness closest to you, push in the tab and slide down.

8mm deep socket on the two east ones, I found an 8mm gear wrench was the best for the one nearest the firewall, one click at at time, lefthanded.

from then on its easy, little wiggling to get the motor out and the you discover this culprit:

Screenshot_20240922_155639_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240922_155650_Gallery.jpg

you will notice tiny metal clips on random fan blades, leave them, they are weights to balance the fan.

because I did not want to pull the entire dash out and buy a new box or take it to somewhere for the 2K ish in repair for a plastic doodad, I opted to lock the blend door in place for the recirc mode, not having the fresh air option. Again, worth the 2K replacement. you can fist your blower hole and feel the blend door in there, it'll rock forward and backward opening the fresh air/recirc mode. since this is now inoperable because the plastic hinged doodad thingy broken I locked mine in the recirc mode. you can feel the way it switches. If the door is flipped towards the motor it is in recirc mode, towards the passenger seat, fresh air mode. there is no way for me to get a pic of this, cuz I'm upside down and backwards in the passenger seat. you can feel the "mesh" plastic and feel the way the door flips back and forth. I made this to jam in between the mesh and the door to hold the door in the recirc mode. paper wrapped with electrical tape, about as big around as your finger will be large enough. feel up in there, find the right placement and jam it in tight. the fan won't hit it this far up.

20240922_151647.jpg20240922_151651.jpg

now that your blend door is locked in place. begin the reassembly.

wiggle the fan up into the hole it came out of, noting the position of the tube that cools the fan and points toward the console. the fun part is being upside down, pushing the motor up, starting one screw, I recommend the one near the firewall, having the next screw in your teeth and getting the and starting it. tighten the one near the firewall while holding up on the motor again with the gear wrench one click at a time, then the one next to the fuse panel, then you can get out and tighten the one closet to the passenger seat normally. put the glove box door back on

Maybe 2 hours

Last edited: