GEN 2 Basic winch setup question: hidden moving intercooler or new bumper but losing sensors, right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braptorin

Reaction score
I'm just beginning my research about getting a front winch on my Gen2 802A. I was hoping to keep the OEM look and like the https://swarfworks.com/2017-2020-ford-raptor-winch-mount/ idea, however... the winch mount I would want is like $550... and the "supporting parts" to make it work are another $1700... holy moly! I guess the OEM intercooler on Raptors gets in the way so it must be moved. Ok, that's fair. I like the OEM look and I like the idea of keeping OEM sensor position and camera view. I don't like potential warranty issues with my own intercooler (and I don't plan to tune my truck, don't want any performance upgrades, etc). So I think I'm then left with a bolt on bumper like an ADD, but do those retain all my sensors and view?

Basically, are those my only two options? Anyone on "the other side of the rainbow" able to look back and tell me which route is more affordable? I'm a very casual off-roader looking for a very low usage emergency solution only, so I'm not planning on going Warn Zeon 12s (for example) just because I think that would be overkill. I want to find an affordable but quality solution. With that said, if I have to pay a few hundred dollars more to mod the vehicle less, I would lean in that direction.

Sorry for being a noob and thanks!

RRR19-Mike

Reaction score
You can always consider a rear trailer hitch mount for emergency situations. You would not need to mess with the front end and it's a lot cheaper. There are plenty of posts on this solution.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Buy once cry once, if you like the look of the factory set up, go with the hidden set up from swarf works. But you will need a FMIC.

Modifications are like opening Pandoras box.

You ever build or remodel a home, one small change leads to a lot of other changes.

Oh and while I fully understand that you don't believe you need the best winch available, when you are in a ****** situation you might wish you did.

Last edited:

Diverdown3

Reaction score
Another option is to go this route. Install a front hitch receiver. No need to relocate intercooler and it's hidden by your front license plate. You also have the bonus of being able to plug your winch into either the front or rear hitch receivers. You'll just need cabling to reach the battery from either location.

Front Winch Receiver Hitch Mount 2017-2020 Ford F150 Raptor Easy Bolt On
Seller: Clutch Pack
Ebay

Also covered here: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/anyone-have-front-mount-receiver-hitch-327699/index8/

Company web pages:
https://www.clutchpack.com/

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

braptorin

Reaction score
So this idea of a hitch-mounted-winch is relatively new to me. Is it as simple as, "when you have a reasonable hitch receiver, you can use that to mount a winch" and the only other thing I need to solve is electronics (power routing)?

I love that idea because I don't have to do anything for my rear, I get a dual-purpose thing on the front (hitch up front is actually useful for me to move some toys around), and I don't have to mess with intercooler up front.

RRR19-Mike

Reaction score
So this idea of a hitch-mounted-winch is relatively new to me. Is it as simple as, "when you have a reasonable hitch receiver, you can use that to mount a winch" and the only other thing I need to solve is electronics (power routing)?

I love that idea because I don't have to do anything for my rear, I get a dual-purpose thing on the front (hitch up front is actually useful for me to move some toys around), and I don't have to mess with intercooler up front.

From another post: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/gen2-winching-recovery-options.74286/post-1447659