Baker Motorsports "Dovetail" Rear End and Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is against my nature to intentionally create an arc.. Playing with electricity has made me instantly react to the sound of an arc bring struck. Usually, ending up sticking the rod to the material, and cussing.. Lol

-Greg

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't have to cut the hitch out, it just unbolts. However, I did cut the rear "frame horns" to get more clearance. I actually integrated my tow hitch into the bumper I built. It's super strong (I tow 2-3 times a week). Cutting the rear fenders isnt too bad either, I used blue painters tape, and traced the line I wanted over it. Took me 15 minutes.

Baker didn't cut the hitch but did cut the frame ends so you could stuff the hitch assembly back up in there.

Truck looks great wht. I would consider cutting the rear bottom piece of the flares though ... Maybe follow the same angle you've already got going on.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Greg, I know exactly what you mean. Back when I worked on cellular towers/equipment, we had these huge banks of batteries that we'd have to install the strapping on. It was like 40 steel straps between all the cells and I have welded a couple of sockets to them in the process. Scared the shit out of me.

That being said, I love welding and I'd be attempting my own fab projects if I just had a garage and tools to do it.

I built myself a hitch mount dirt bike carrier a few years back and even though I sold it to a friend, it's still kickin.

Just so this counts as on topic, I freakin love that WSI bumper.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Baker didn't cut the hitch but did cut the frame ends so you could stuff the hitch assembly back up in there.

Truck looks great wht. I would consider cutting the rear bottom piece of the flares though ... Maybe follow the same angle you've already got going on.

I have been trying to figure out a way to do that. you have to cut and round it like BigJ because there are support brackets that hold the fenders in place there. Looking at how to change or fab up new ones to get around that.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh yeah that's probably what big j meant. He said cut the hitch that's why I was confused

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

WSI, if I ever take a road trip out to visit my sister in KS, I'm going to have to stop by and discuss this whole rear bumper thing with you further. It sounds like you've got it figured out.

Thanks Aaron!

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

I have been trying to figure out a way to do that. you have to cut and round it like BigJ because there are support brackets that hold the fenders in place there. Looking at how to change or fab up new ones to get around that.

Me too I don't like mine. But I also don't want mud and water spraying everywhere...

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just lopped them off and the majority of the liner is still in place. I'll try and grab a pic later today.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm ok its very possible I misunderstood what John told me (it was really late and we were both smoked; him from working on it all day and me from working on a jobsite all day). Its also possible I'm misunderstanding what I'm seeing. Here are a few pics. You guys tell me?

Here I'm pointing at where I thought he took material (length) out of the hitch and welded it back together:
P1020093_zps7d7bb9b8.jpg

P1020094_zps771f79cd.jpg

Here's a couple shots of how its welded back in:
P1020095_zpsb53c926d.jpg

P1020096_zps63044307.jpg

Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Regarding cutting out the hitch vs un bolting I definitely had that wrong/misunderstood. You guys are right that it does unbolt from the frame (its the 04-08 F150s that are welded in, by the way).

Here's another shot from All Data:

Capture_zpsa2b15aad.jpg

That's a good shot too for showing what needs to be cut off in order to make it fit up and in higher.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Although now that I'm looking at it and thinking on it, I'm confused too. If he did take material out of the middle of the hitch, why not just cut the ends shorter in the first place? Those mounting points on the hitch need to come off anyway, so might as well just take a little bit more of the horizontal tube when cutting them off and save all the trouble?

I are confuse

huh.jpg

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm ok its very possible I misunderstood what John told me (it was really late and we were both smoked; him from working on it all day and me from working on a jobsite all day). Its also possible I'm misunderstanding what I'm seeing. Here are a few pics. You guys tell me?

Here I'm pointing at where I thought he took material (length) out of the hitch and welded it back together:
P1020093_zps7d7bb9b8.jpg

P1020094_zps771f79cd.jpg

Here's a couple shots of how its welded back in:
P1020095_zpsb53c926d.jpg

P1020096_zps63044307.jpg

Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Regarding cutting out the hitch vs un bolting I definitely had that wrong/misunderstood. You guys are right that it does unbolt from the frame (its the 04-08 F150s that are welded in, by the way).

Here's another shot from All Data:

Capture_zpsa2b15aad.jpg

That's a good shot too for showing what needs to be cut off in order to make it fit up and in higher.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Although now that I'm looking at it and thinking on it, I'm confused too. If he did take material out of the middle of the hitch, why not just cut the ends shorter in the first place? Those mounting points on the hitch need to come off anyway, so might as well just take a little bit more of the horizontal tube when cutting them off and save all the trouble?

I are confuse

huh.jpg

What he did was re-used your stock receiver by cutting it out of the whole stock unit, although he cut it straight and then butt welded an extension to both sides. where you see it welded is as long as the receiver tube was, because the formed channels you see in the diagram , angle inwards. I opted however to remake the receiver, but used the original formed channel that bolted to the frame.

Looks good, more than one way to skin a cat as they say

Last edited: