Another 23 with moonroof leaking, but with pics of potential culprit/causes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeelingJD

Reaction score
I know it’s been covered, but I’ve only seen threads with the complaint. None seem to address the why, what the dealers are doing to fix. Admins, please delete if someone has already posted these findings.

My truck leaked from the passenger headliner speaker after running through the carwash.

I “snaked” drains on both driver and passenger sides with weed trimmer line, which appears to work pretty well, but unfortunately did not observe the drains to be clogged or have any debris.

Initially I did see water around the rivets at the most forward part of the tracks, which seemed to be directly above the speaker grill. I thought this might be the source and with a penlight, I could see down through the center of the rivets so I decided to disassemble a bit to see what I could find.

IMG_0363.jpeg

After removing the speaker grill and speaker from the headliner, directly above was the bottom of the arm for the mesh wind deflector thing. As you can see in the pics below, there is daylight, and water on the bottom of the tab.
IMG_0356.jpeg
IMG_0358.jpeg
IMG_0364.jpeg

It appears to me that the design is to accept water on the channel beside the track, which directs to the drain tubes, and if the volume of water entering is too great for the channel to drain, it overflows into the track which allows water to get to the openings (rivets, deflector tabs,etc.) then to the headliner.

IMG_0365.jpeg

I don’t know if this helps anyone or helps anyone to come up with a remedy. All I can come up with off the top of my head is silicone the both top and bottom sides of these openings, but I don’t know if it would interfere with any operation of the window.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That’s pretty interesting. I’m just spitballin’ here but I’m seeing a lot of Jen Tres owners reporting moon roof leaks. more than I recall from Jen Too when ours were new.
Have there been some design changes?

Or y’all spend more time washing your trucks?

also, I’m calling bingo! unwanted leak = broke.
1719161239397.png

bakwaas4eva

Reaction score
Your on it with the bingo card
I know it’s been covered, but I’ve only seen threads with the complaint. None seem to address the why, what the dealers are doing to fix. Admins, please delete if someone has already posted these findings.

My truck leaked from the passenger headliner speaker after running through the carwash.

I “snaked” drains on both driver and passenger sides with weed trimmer line, which appears to work pretty well, but unfortunately did not observe the drains to be clogged or have any debris.

Initially I did see water around the rivets at the most forward part of the tracks, which seemed to be directly above the speaker grill. I thought this might be the source and with a penlight, I could see down through the center of the rivets so I decided to disassemble a bit to see what I could find.

View attachment 458121

After removing the speaker grill and speaker from the headliner, directly above was the bottom of the arm for the mesh wind deflector thing. As you can see in the pics below, there is daylight, and water on the bottom of the tab.
View attachment 458122
View attachment 458123
View attachment 458124

It appears to me that the design is to accept water on the channel beside the track, which directs to the drain tubes, and if the volume of water entering is too great for the channel to drain, it overflows into the track which allows water to get to the openings (rivets, deflector tabs,etc.) then to the headliner.

View attachment 458125

I don’t know if this helps anyone or helps anyone to come up with a remedy. All I can come up with off the top of my head is silicone the both top and bottom sides of these openings, but I don’t know if it would interfere with any operation of the window.
Will pick up my R tomorrow and let you know what the remedy was according to the dealer

bakwaas4eva

Reaction score
So I picked up my R 24 today...Ask the dealership what was the cause of the leak and was told the a pillar drain passenger side was not connected properly hence the water finding the closest opening to drain which was the speaker and sunroof

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another reason not to use commercial car washes.

All sunroofs use a wet seal, which is designed to bypass water into the drain channels. They are NOT designed to handle the high pressure water used in many commercial car washes; that results in excessive water bypassing the seal and overflowing the drain channels.

There is not fix for issues caused by car washes; it’s best to wash by hand only, which is recommended in the Owner’s information for Raptor anyway.

OP
OP
K

KeelingJD

Reaction score
10-4, I’m leaning toward the touchless car wash having been my issue, since everything looks to be connected properly and all seals look good, and no clogged drain tubes. I’ve always washed by hand, but was feeling particularly lazy. Lessons learned. Thanks for all the replies!