Aluminum Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i've rebuilt Gen 2 shocks and i'm 99% sure the body is Al, but never did the magnet test. They are NOT threaded though, that i know for a fact. The bypass tube is threaded and the upper and lower caps thread into that. Anyone with a gen 2 shock care to try to stick a magnet to the body?
They don't seem to be magnetic cans, but the shaft & bypass tube within the shock ARE.

Attachments

• 20240724_115559.jpg
    20240724_115559.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't seem to be magnetic cans, but the shaft & bypass tube within the shock ARE.
Thanks for confirming. i can add that 1% back. After thinking about it and talking to some other guys, i'm not sure an aluminum body is worth the effort. I am contemplating a remote reservoir for the OEM fronts similar to the King and Fox 3.0 replacements. Routing the line might be problematic since the OEM shocks would have the port on the bottom so running the line up to the frame may pose some issues. I do have a set of fronts that i only paid $60 for so i may drill out the lower eye and see how the routing would be. I could just buy a rear piggy back, IFP and top cap and i would have to fabricate a lower cap but that should be fairly simple. Just a threaded end cap with an NPT thread.

2012SCSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered building a front shock that was a king/fox 8" body with a 14" shaft with just a simple aluminum spacer for the required clearance of the drive shaft and tie rod. Just to avoid paying the raptor tax on the oem style coil overs, ended up with a g2 shock instead.

But the standard sock/spacer idea I stole from a raptor dakar build:
1000004414.jpg