Airbags?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to
Thinking about doing this to alleviate the rear end squat when towing, but really don't want to ruin the off road articulation. Years and years ago I had the firestone bags on my Tacoma. They worked great for towing, but rode really rough with 5psi in the bags, off road was like a wooden wagon.

Has anyone with the AL 1000 bags tried running them with the schrader valves removed so the bags offer no resistance? Might be a way to have both load support and near factory articulation.
Before you rely on the bags for leveling, be sure to check to make sure your weight distribution hitch is properly set up, meaning that the weight distribution feature on your hitch is adjusted up or down to transfer half the tongue weight to the front axle. If your truck is sagging it means the weight is not properly distributed, the airbags will only mask the issue, not resolve it. Most people figure out the weight distribution by eyeballing it (level means properly distributed tongue weight, sagging truck or trailer means adjustment needed). But with the Raptor's soft suspension, I would recommend, based on my limited experience, that you go the extra step and take truck's fender height measurements before and after the hitch is installed and adjust accordingly until most of the sag is gone.

MORK

Reaction score
You should be able to

Before you rely on the bags for leveling, be sure to check to make sure your weight distribution hitch is properly set up, meaning that the weight distribution feature on your hitch is adjusted up or down to transfer half the tongue weight to the front axle. If your truck is sagging it means the weight is not properly distributed, the airbags will only mask the issue, not resolve it. Most people figure out the weight distribution by eyeballing it (level means properly distributed tongue weight, sagging truck or trailer means adjustment needed). But with the Raptor's soft suspension, I would recommend, based on my limited experience, that you go the extra step and take truck's fender height measurements before and after the hitch is installed and adjust accordingly until most of the sag is gone.
You are not wrong. However, I’ve found with that much weight being distributed, the ride while towing is terrible. Just a little bit of support makes a ton of difference.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not wrong. However, I’ve found with that much weight being distributed, the ride while towing is terrible. Just a little bit of support makes a ton of difference.
Agreed. Even though I was able to eliminate most of the sagging with the WDH, I was told the airbags would definitely improve the towing experience. I am planning on installing them soon.