A good deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found a 2021 Code Orange 37pp, fully loaded, rhapsody recaros, certified pre owned with only 11,800 miles for $69,500. Seems like a good deal, but feel like I am being shafted on my trade, a 2017 Raptor, 83k miles, and they offered me $31k for it. Out the door I’m looking at $750 a month with $5k down for the “new” one. A part of me wants to move on it but the other part of me says, I have a perfectly good truck with a $190 a month payment. KBB on my truck is $36-41k so $31 felt like an insult. I will say that the salesman sent me a screen shot of Carfax that has my truck at $31k wholesale. Good deal or keep what I have and walk away?

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Financially bad, sure is, but there is no way to upgrade otherwise with the price of the Gen 3. I was ready to pay $600-650 a month but that was under the assumption I wasn’t going to get such an awful trade in on mine.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See what Carmax or Caravan will offer for your truck. It'll probably be more and offset the tax savings of trading it in to the dealer. I wouldn't want to go from $190/mo to $750/mo, seems like a bad financial decision...
Carmax was 33k, I feel like I would make out better just trading in that scenario, sure would be a smoother process.

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you’ve negotiated it?? Did you land at the 31k or have you not tried to move it? Unless it’s filthy and beat… I’d work toward mid kbb at least. Got to be able to walk. I’d be shocked if they don’t come back. Especially with inventory building. How long has it been on lot?

Last edited:

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try Carvanna, and Cars.com to get instant offers. Then take what works best and never look back. The dealer should at least match your best offer. I've used that to get a better trade value. Good luck!

rp2024

Reaction score
With SC tax you are about $140 less with trade in. Not much difference.

I have seen the used raptor prices drop and they are not selling as quick (check out cars.com and see inventory it shows the number of days). I bought last month, only one dealership was offering a reasonable trade value. I was going too sell on my own, but with my tax break on the new one I would have been at the amount I was thinking of selling. I checked yesterday and the price dropped about 2k in about a month in KBB value for the truck I traded.

You might even find a 22 or 23 for a good price with inventory sitting a lot longer use the days on the lot (if it has been sitting for some time) to negotiate .

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you’ve negotiated it?? Did you land at the 31k or have you not tried to move it? Unless it’s filthy and beat… I’d work toward mid kbb at least. Got be able to walk. I’d be shocked if they don’t come back. Especially with inventory building. How long has it been on lot?
$30k was the initial offer, then they said they could do $31k, that was after me bringing up it sitting on the lot for 100+ days. That was the counter offer and the “my manager wants this gone so he will give you another $1k”. They claim kbb has not caught up to the market, to be fair carmax offered $33k online offer and Carvana was $31,500.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try Carvanna, and Cars.com to get instant offers. Then take what works best and never look back. The dealer should at least match your best offer. I've used that to get a better trade value. Good luck!
Carvana was $31500, carmax was highest at $33k

With SC tax you are about $140 less with trade in. Not much difference.

I have seen the used raptor prices drop and they are not selling as quick (check out cars.com and see inventory it shows the number of days). I bought last month, only one dealership was offering a reasonable trade value. I was going too sell on my own, but with my tax break on the new one I would have been at the amount I was thinking of selling. I checked yesterday and the price dropped about 2k in about a month in KBB value for the truck I traded.

You might even find a 22 or 23 for a good price with inventory sitting a lot longer use the days on the lot (if it has been sitting for some time) to negotiate .
This one has been sitting 100+ days but I guess they don’t want to sell it that bad. I have noticed that as new cars are dropping, used ones will have to follow so even holding out might be a wash in the end.