GEN 1 6R80 Trans Breather Extension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toltyk

Reaction score
Hello all. Has anyone successfully extended their transmission vent to a breather hose. The transmission vents to a cap directly on top of the transmission and is the only vent that I have not extended to sit at the same level as the air intake. I am concerned about getting water into the transmission as my offroading consistently has water going to the bottom of the doors. Attached is a picture of the vent cap. 1000000055.jpg

OP
OP
T

Toltyk

Reaction score
Decided to jump into attempting it today and ran into a few issues I will hopefully fix tomorrow. The vent is on the drivers side at the top of the transmission. I can just barely get hands up to it right next to the catalytic converter and forward driveshaft.

I first tried to get the cap off by using a flathead screwdriver. I got the tip under the edge and pried on it which was not very effective. I then got a screw driver and tapped on it with a hammer and the entire vent popped out. It is only held in with some friction grooves so I thought that might happen. Pictures are attached of the cap and vent. I had to use an angle grinder to remove the cap.

1000000103.jpg1000000102.jpg

1000000105.jpg1000000106.jpg

After getting the cap off, I cleaned up the vent. 1/2 inch hose is the size needed to fit over the vent top. With hose clamp, the hose held completely tight and sealed on the vent top. I attempted to install the vent top with the hose connected but it was way to tight. I was able to push the vent back into the transmission hole with some removable loctite and it felt quite snug just pushing it in by hand. I will check on the tightness tomorrow to see if it is solid. I was able to get the hose over the now installed vent and hose clamped but realized that no matter which way the hose is routed, the 1/2" hose will kink. There are 2 fuel or coolant lines and 1 unknown line that sits right above the vent and is a pain in the ass. Tomorrow, I am getting a 90 degree barb adapter for the 1/2" hose to see if I can clear all the lines above the vent. I will update once I figure this out.

1000000101.jpg

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like an operable one way breather valve on there, like in aquariums. Outrance only, like a bootyhole.....

Why the need to extend?

OP
OP
T

Toltyk

Reaction score
That looks like an operable one way breather valve on there, like in aquariums. Outrance only, like a bootyhole.....

Why the need to extend?
You are correct but there is also a chance that water can push through if the vacuum inside the transmission is great enough. It is also a common vent that gets plugged up due to dirt so I am trying to mitigatethat as well. I am doing this as a safety so that in the very small chance that I do get into really deep water, I do not have to replace my transmission.