GEN 1 6.2L Engine replacement cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kansasmohawk

Reaction score
Chances are, you’ll be fine. Like I said, there was no warning at all, though.

Was cruising down the street at 45mph and felt a weird vibration like a flat tire. Coasted to the side of the road and engine just quit. No pops or bangs, no CEL lights, no nothing. Turned the key and nothing. Really thought it was an electrical problem.

Towed it back to our shop, checked the battery and it was good. Still had no idea the motor was locked up. No oil anywhere. Put it up on the lift and dropped the oil. That’s when I found shrapnel everywhere and pulled the valve covers to see what caused the carnage.
Same thing just happened to me. Valve spring then dropped valve…just after having plugs/wires etc changed

Ford wont do anything about it (corporate cust svc number).

82k mi. $17k by dealer in Houston.

Except now apparently the engines are 4-6 months out….??

I really dont want a neighborhood engine dude to do this and end up $12k in without a warranty.

Thoughts?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get a used longblock from a Superduty.

1722899292443.png

Last edited:

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same thing just happened to me. Valve spring then dropped valve…just after having plugs/wires etc changed

Ford wont do anything about it (corporate cust svc number).

82k mi. $17k by dealer in Houston.

Except now apparently the engines are 4-6 months out….??

I really dont want a neighborhood engine dude to do this and end up $12k in without a warranty.

Thoughts?
I’m really sorry to hear that! Also really surprised it happened at 82k miles.

Everybody’s got their own opinions and all of our situations are different, but here was my thinking when I went through this.

For me, my first choice was to try and find a Ford reman motor with warranty and I got lucky. I was willing to wait a few months if that’s what it took, but we ended up finding one in Dallas within a few weeks.

My second choice was to find a clean used SD motor and get a local engine builder to rebuild it. That would have been a fun project, but it would’ve cost me about twice the money for the motor.

Another option I looked into was to talk to Livernois about getting one of their motors. At the time (Spring 2021), their lead times were several months out and they wanted the truck shipped to MI to get it installed and tuned. In the end, it was just more money, time, and distance than I could commit to.

Good luck with your project. Not sure any of that helped you, but hope you get it fixed soon!