5W50 oil in Roush supercharger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-Ray-

Reaction score
Hello forum members.
Any chance for feedback/guidance regarding the following please:

I just picked up my 2014 from the Ford dealer today after having the Roush phase II super charger install. The tech' replaced the oil with QGT 5W50 motor oil. He asserted that's what's to be used from now on.
Ok, I did some research but couldn't find any feedback other than the use of 5W40.
I have 68K miles, and it's an every day street queen. Anyone using 5W50? pros-cons???
Would be grateful for any intel. Please reply when time permits. Thank you so kindly.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a Factory Roush in 2014 and it never stated that... I think the tech is confusing the oil requirement in the R with your 6.2 with a blower.
Safe bet is 5/30... its the HD spec from Ford on the 6.2..

That's what I ran in my Roush and what I am running in the Whippled 6.2

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello forum members.
Any chance for feedback/guidance regarding the following please:

I just picked up my 2014 from the Ford dealer today after having the Roush phase II super charger install. The tech' replaced the oil with QGT 5W50 motor oil. He asserted that's what's to be used from now on.
Ok, I did some research but couldn't find any feedback other than the use of 5W40.
I have 68K miles, and it's an every day street queen. Anyone using 5W50? pros-cons???
Would be grateful for any intel. Please reply when time permits. Thank you so kindly.
Not to sound stupid,but your talking about the Engine oil and not the Supercharger Oil...correct?

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Factory Roush in 2014 and it never stated that... I think the tech is confusing the oil requirement in the R with your 6.2 with a blower.
Safe bet is 5/30... its the HD spec from Ford on the 6.2..

That's what I ran in my Roush and what I am running in the Whippled 6.2
Hi there...figured I'd ask you since you have the Whippled 6.2 as I do....have you ever changed the Whipple Oil in yours? Mine is pushing 75K,and thinking its time,even though I think they say 100K..? And,if you did it,how hard was it to get to that drain plug?
Thanks..and long live the Gen1 6.2!!

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi there...figured I'd ask you since you have the Whippled 6.2 as I do....have you ever changed the Whipple Oil in yours? Mine is pushing 75K,and thinking its time,even though I think they say 100K..? And,if you did it,how hard was it to get to that drain plug?
Thanks..and long live the Gen1 6.2!!
I just picked up this truck and the blower was sent to Whipple for service when the engine was rebuilt 1000 miles ago.
I have not done anything yet.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@-Ray-

I use Mobil 1 Extended Proformance 5-W30. That's one weight up from factory recommended.
The Extended Proformance is designed for Supercharged and Turbo engines.
The 6.2L uses oil squirters to cool down the piston heads and walls, going too heavy may not be a good idea.

Are you upgrading the oil pump gears?

Last edited:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't recall JDM or Roush recommending to switch oil weight once I supercharged my 2013. Kept it on 5w-20.