2020 Handling improvements?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daytona1783

Reaction score
I'm new to Raptors and I purchased a 2020 802A with 29k miles a few months back and sold my 2014 Platinum. It's never been off-road and is a street truck only. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the Raptor's on-road characteristics. It bounces all over the place and seems unstable at times. Other times, it's super dialed in and handles very well. Most of my driving is 2 lane back country roads. I've noticed that it wants to jump left and right on small bumps in the roadway in the front and rear. I had the truck aligned twice and the tires are brand new C-rated BFGs. Something just seems off...

I had my 2014 Platinum dialed in to handle very well on the road, with Hellwig sway bars front and rear, Bilsteins all around, and the best Michelin tires money can buy. It handled like a dream for a truck, was super smooth on the roadway, and was quick with the few bolt ons.

Can anyone suggest anything that I may be able to adjust for a more predictable ride? Am I missing something in the settings that could affect the handling characteristics? I've considered installing the Hellwig sway bars again, but if there is an easy fix, I'd rather try that first.

Thanks.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was going to ask the same as Nex. I like 38 front, 35 rear. Many dealers will set them REALLY high which makes it ride poorly and kind of skip on big bumps. My truck was set at 55 front and rear when I got it. Tire pressures make a big difference with these.

Last edited:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Drop down to 34. On 35s, right? What are the tire specs?

How many miles on the truck? When was the last time the shocks were rebuilt?

OP
OP
D

daytona1783

Reaction score
Correct, factory BFG 35s. The dealership replaced them all when I bought the truck. It just turned 32k miles. The shocks have not been rebuilt.

Just did a quick search and it seems most guys are running 32-35 psi. I'll make that change to 34 and go from there. Thanks for the quick responses.

Last edited:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I don't have live vales so maybe someone can give you a hand with that part. But I would drop the tires down to 34 and test it out.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think your platinum had 22 maybe 20 inch wheels. The 17’s on the Raptor cause a lot of poor handling characteristics on paved roads. If your truck is a daily driver and not off-roaded much, try 20” wheels. It will be a bit harsher overall and will not perform as well on wash boarded ruff roads. The 20’s will stop the tire roll and fell far more precise in corners. Increased high speed stability is a huge benefit on Paved roads. You will give up ride comfort and off-road prowess.