2019 Rear clunk or popping noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pax4d

Reaction score
Guys,
I have a popping noise coming from the rear of the truck (I think more passenger) when I turn the truck. I really only hear it at slow speeds, but if I drive down the street and turn wheel right and left to rock the truck I can make the noise show up consistently. I have had my shocks rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago and Deavers added at that time. The Deavers do squeak a bit, but this is not a squeak. I have powerwashed the springs, checked bolts (they seem tight), I have greased the springs and still have same popping noise. Not saying the popping is the spring, just my best guess. It almost sounds like something rolling in my bed, but I have nothing in my bed and I cleaned out my toolbox to make sure nothing in it was moving. Spare tire is secured. Anyone have any ideas?

jdholder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve traced my popping to my Deavers. Don’t know the exact mechanism that is causing the pop, but it is annoying. I’m looking for a local leaf spring rebuilder that can perhaps replace the plastic shims between the springs to see if that will get it to stop.

This is the first set of Devers I’ve had that have uniquely popped. Most all
Squeak.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Icon leaf springs. The shop that installed them for me tried everything they could. In the end Icon replaced under warranty, the new ones have been fine. If it happens again I'm putting the stock ones back.

OP
OP
Pax4d

Pax4d

Reaction score
I am still having the same clunking. I have cleaned the Deavers, lubed them, greased them multiple times and nothing seems to help. I have checked the u bolts, shock bolts, spare, exhaust, heat shields, tailgate step, bed bolts, basically everything I can think of. I still have a very noticeable clunk when turning of flexing the axle. Anyone have any ideas? Driving me nuts.

StraightSixM2C

Reaction score
There is a tuned mass damper bolted between the frame rail and bed. The bushings get blown out and it wobbles around and makes noise. Not saying this is your problem but take a look.
I cut the bolts with a sawzawl and was able to get it out(with a hammer) without having to unbolt and lift the bed.
IMG_5112.jpeg

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
I am still having the same clunking. I have cleaned the Deavers, lubed them, greased them multiple times and nothing seems to help. I have checked the u bolts, shock bolts, spare, exhaust, heat shields, tailgate step, bed bolts, basically everything I can think of. I still have a very noticeable clunk when turning of flexing the axle. Anyone have any ideas? Driving me nuts.
Sounds like you have the exact same issue as me, I thought the issue was unique to Icon and was regretting choosing the Icons over Deavers. I would try calling Deaver and asking them if they have a solution. I'm sure your not the first one. My truck was practically new when I put my springs on and I'll be damned if it was going to sound like 76" Cheyenne with 11K on odometer. If Icon didn't come through they were going to come off. I can't stand noises like that.

OP
OP
Pax4d

Pax4d

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I took the truck to a local spring shop and they inspected and found that the ubolts were loose. Even though the ubolts had a torque line on them from the installer and the nuts had not moved off the line, they were infact loose. Local spring guy stated the ubolts most likely stretched. He re tightened ubolts, installed additional insulator pads and grease between leafs. 90% of the squeaking is gone and about 75% of the clunking. So I feel better about the truck it doesn't feel like the whole body is moving when turning, but I still want to find the remaining clunking. The local Spring guy, also stated that the ubolts looked to be grade 5 not 8, and he was surprised considering the cost of the springs (he had the website up). I may take the truck back to him and have him un install the springs, put in new bushings, bolts and Ubolts just the get a fresh start. All of which is cheaper than a new truck. LOL.