2017 Raptor at Auto Shows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still not sold on the new look, will save final judgement until I can inspect one up close. Feel it lost that absolute over the top tonka truck look of the current generation.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still not sold on the new look, will save final judgement until I can inspect one up close. Feel it lost that absolute over the top tonka truck look of the current generation.

Yeah, the new truck seems to have a softer look. Doesn't seem to have a mean, tough look like the current truck. Like you guys are saying, save judgement until I see it in person, but I'm not encouraged.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's fun to read all the posts by the naysayers and critics.

One thing to consider: the '17 Raptor will make the original design look, well, old.

Most who say no now will quietly and quickly change their tune once it's on sale.

It already does. Original truck still looks great, but it now looks dated. But it's supposed to as it ages.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

One thing to consider: the '17 Raptor will make the original design look, well, old.

Most who say no now will quietly and quickly change their tune once it's on sale.

It already does. Original truck still looks great, but it now looks dated. But it's supposed to as it ages.

I'm not so sure. I see 2015 F-150's all over here and they are nice don't get me wrong, but my truck does not look anywhere near dated next to them. I doubt the new Raptor will have that effect either. It will just look different.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. I see 2015 F-150's all over here and they are nice don't get me wrong, but my truck does not look anywhere near dated next to them. I doubt the new Raptor will have that effect either. It will just look different.

Then you will forever live in ~2014. ;)

Truck still looks great, but time passes and the new becomes the old. I still get excited when I see another Raptor.

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is what I have noticed with automobiles in general.

It usually takes two model change generations for an older model to become nostalgic and way cool again. Unless the second gen is the last gen of a particular model then they both tend to be considered classic. Think F 150 Lightening for example.

kscarguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
each time I see the new version I'm starting to like it more and more. however, Daddy wants a V8. so like everyone else here only time will tell

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Sounds like something people who consistently lease the new 3 series worry about to me. Interestingly, this is one of the main reasons I bought my truck. A cool truck will always be cool. And that's because the coolness of a truck is based more on what it can do than on what it looks like than it is for cars. Coincidentally, I had my truck out on the beach last weekend and the only one that got more attention than mine was an old C10. Cars, on the other hand, don't always age so well, either in the near term or the long term.

I really do like the new model but until they put an engine that is aimed more towards enthusiasts in it, I won't be in a rush to get into one. Based on the number of trucks being sold these past few weeks, it looks like I'm in the minority, though. But hey, I'm seeing some really awesome deals on like new or never installed parts, so being in the minority ain't a bad place to be.

Not to mention the fact that it's taken 4-5 years for the aftermarket part market to really develop. Take SVC's upcoming 4WD LT kit, for example. Now if we could just get a 427 cubic inch crate motor based off the boss block we'd be all set...