2017 Ford Raptor: High Resolution Photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that you can run the beadlock ring without moving the bead to the outside and using it as a true beadlock, If so, that is why they are not road legal. True bead locks are not approved for on road use.

D

Deleted member 12951

True Beadlocks have been only for off-road use only even on Gen1. And the ring even with Gen1 has been $200 each. Cheapest I've seen is $150

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The true beadlock rings are not DOT approved for onroad use. That is why Ford is selling the optional wheels as beadlock capable.

I'm not sure that you can run the beadlock ring without moving the bead to the outside and using it as a true beadlock, If so, that is why they are not road legal. True bead locks are not approved for on road use.

Please excuse my ignorance here. I really don't know anything more than what the bead lock does. Are they not safe to be daily driven or is it just an item that nobody has spent the money to get it DOT approved? I guess what I wondering is if I put a set of those o my truck is there any concerns for street reliability or any other potential issues?

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

True Beadlocks have been only for off-road use only even on Gen1. And the ring even with Gen1 has been $200 each. Cheapest I've seen is $150

Got interrupted posting my question so I didn't see this first. Thanks for the info.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance here. I really don't know anything more than what the bead lock does. Are they not safe to be daily driven or is it just an item that nobody has spent the money to get it DOT approved? I guess what I wondering is if I put a set of those o my truck is there any concerns for street reliability or any other potential issues?

They are safe in theory. The beadlock captures the tire bead between the wheel and the beadlock ring. This allows the tire to be aired down without risk of breaking the bead loose. The only way a beadlock can be DOT approved is either a CTI (central Tire inflation) system like the Hummer H1 or an internal tire supplement (usually a plastic ring/canister inside the tire) so that should the beadlock fail, the tire does not rapidly deflate causing a loss of control. The odds of them failing are pretty much a non issue but they are not technically approved. You would be fine running them, but unless you go off-road and air down regularly, its not worth it.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are safe in theory. The beadlock captures the tire bead between the wheel and the beadlock ring. This allows the tire to be aired down without risk of breaking the bead loose. The only way a beadlock can be DOT approved is either a CTI (central Tire inflation) system like the Hummer H1 or an internal tire supplement (usually a plastic ring/canister inside the tire) so that should the beadlock fail, the tire does not rapidly deflate causing a loss of control. The odds of them failing are pretty much a non issue but they are not technically approved. You would be fine running them, but unless you go off-road and air down regularly, its not worth it.

Thanks for the info. I honestly will probably never have this truck off road.

I like the look of that bead lock but have no need what so ever for its functionality.

bdub85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I honestly will probably never have this truck off road.

I like the look of that bead lock but have no need what so ever for its functionality.

Yea you will never need beadlocks. I do a lot of rock climbing in my jeep and I've never bothered with beadlocks. They are for running crazy low pressure.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could always paint the standard trim rings.

Funny you say that. I had that thought. In fact I went and looked at some pictures of the stock beauty ring to see what it may look like in a different color. I may consider trying to finds a used take off pair and experimenting with color on those. That way if I don't like them I still have the untouched stock ones to put back on

Norris McCarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, do you know if you could indeed run without the beauty rings while you had them powder coated? I'm thinking maybe a "true red" on an AG truck. I don't know....just a thought.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superiorplumbing