GEN 1 2014 SVT Raptor Speedo cluster dies and vehicle wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Lombard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've run into the strangest problem and I can't seem to find anyone who has experienced the same. I'm based in Namibia, Africa and well we don't have many Raptors and even less support down here. I'm really hoping someone on here can help.

I was driving down the highway when my speedo cluster died. It didn't black out but rather shut down in the same manner as if I turned off the ignition. At this point I was still driving but of course with no gauges and I wasn't going to continue with not being able to monitor anything. Knowing it was a risk I turned off the vehicle. It didn't start up.

If I turn the ignition on, the speedo cluster does not turn on. My headlights and taillight are permanently on. I can hear something in the BCM click and the fuel pump prime. If I depress the accelerator the throttle body actuates. While the gearlever is in Park and I press the back lever as if to shift positions the dash lights come on. If I try and swing the engine I don't get any response.

If I plug in a diagnostic machine it doesn't pick anything up. What I mean it cannot even connect. Its like there is no communication. I replaced the BCM thinking this was the problem but still the guys cant get in to communicate with the vehicle. I've just got a wiring diagram from https://portal-diagnostov.com/en/ and passed that through.

I don't know if anyone has any suggestions but it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would check for fuse 27 relocation. Does not sound like the symptoms but you never know. Could have cooked a few more fuses along with it.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the alternator died while driving and you drained the battery. Charge the battery overnight and see if everything is OK again.

mobilefordtechjosh

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a wiring problem replacing the BCM isn’t gonna fix anything. First verify you have a healthy battery, go through check all your fuses. Thoroughly! Don’t assume it’s good. Check your door sail area wiring verify there isn’t anything loose or wires chewed up look for signs of it in the engine compartment. Have you done any work to the truck lately? Go back over what you did especially if it’s Electrical.

OP
OP
P

Paul Lombard

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice so far guys. Battery is fine and I even put in a new one just in case. I cant check the alternator as I cant start the car. Well unless I build it out but yeah, battery is good. I've literally removed the entire dash and been through all the fueses and split the fuse box. I've stripped the wiring as far as possible and can't find any break, chaffing, pinched, melted nor even an excessively corroded wire. I'm trying to test the various modules using the wiring diagram but no success as of yet. I had a light bar put on but I checked and the shop did it according to the manual so that's all good.

Do you guys think I should replace the PCM?

Also the fuse 27 relocation has not been done but I checked the fuse and it is working fine. My fuel pump primes and if i override it I can get it to run. I haven't checked fuel pressure but also not sure what that should be. I'll do some research on that.

Cookie

Reaction score
I know this might not help, but my 2009 F150 had the same problem, the wiring harness (plug) going into the Gauge cluster had poor connections. Lots of weird things would happen.