14.5" Tesla style radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a Sync 4 setup, and I have never seen a conversion kit that would allow a 12" screen to fit on a Gen 1 Raptor like that. I know it's possible to go from Sync 2 to Sync 3, but that's because the screen size is the same and drops right into the Sync 2 spot. I did the conversion on my 13 Flex. As far as Sync 2 to Sync 4, that seems to be a large stretch of the imagination.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will also comment that it will still not allow things like video in motion unless there's a way to jailbreak it. I have Sync 4 in my 22 F-150 and it's definitely a lot better than Sync 2 or Sync 3.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
That's a Sync 4 setup, and I have never seen a conversion kit that would allow a 12" screen to fit on a Gen 1 Raptor like that. I know it's possible to go from Sync 2 to Sync 3, but that's because the screen size is the same and drops right into the Sync 2 spot. I did the conversion on my 13 Flex. As far as Sync 2 to Sync 4, that seems to be a large stretch of the imagination.
This company offers a current upgrade from sync 3 to 4 that also includes wireless carplay. It's quite pricey, they do the programming and it's basically a new APIM. However I don't see much value in it. All you get is wireless carplay and a faster, newer GUI. The new one with the upgraded screen feels more enticing.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This company offers a current upgrade from sync 3 to 4 that also includes wireless carplay. It's quite pricey, they do the programming and it's basically a new APIM. However I don't see much value in it. All you get is wireless carplay and a faster, newer GUI. The new one with the upgraded screen feels more enticing.

The upgraded screen is the big thing I would want for sure. The 8" screen with Sync 4 in my base 22 F-150 is much nicer than the Sync 3 setup in my 13 Flex.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
New setup came in yesterday and dove into it. The truck already had an Android 9 PX6 unit in it that I installed about 4 years ago and has been working perfectly, minus that the digitizer in the screen died and I had to use an external mouse to run it. I also still have the incorrect unit that was sent to me on hand too. The nice part about having all of these units on hand at the same time was being able to see the upgrades that had come since the Android 9 units, as well as the differences between the incorrect unit, and the correct one. I forgot to take pictures of the new unit's harness and screen setup, but you'll be able to see the differences between the Android 9 unit I was using, and the incorrect unit.

Android 9 PX6 12.1" unit for Sync 2 13-14:

PXL_20240912_225031609.jpg
PXL_20240912_225046435.jpg
PXL_20240912_225100062.jpg

Android 11 8-core 14.4" unit (assuming Sync 1 13-14 at this point):

PXL_20240912_225330763.jpg
PXL_20240912_225352814.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Continued:

PXL_20240912_225424270.jpg

Probably the dead giveaway that it's the incorrect unit is the fact there's no socket for the APIM to bolt to on the back of the unit, and also that it didn't come with brackets to relocate the DSP module (CD receiver) down further in the radio pocket. Looking at the harness I'm going to believe that it's probably for a 13-14 truck with Sync 1, but without seeing the wiring harness on a Sync 1 truck I'm unsure. There was a handful of updates since the Android 9 unit, like the addition of external 2.4 and 5ghz WiFi antennas, SIM card slot cable, a much larger screen, the processor being quite a bit faster, and the screen resolution is much higher as well. Here's a photo of the new unit installed:

PXL_20240913_161128313.jpg

Current thoughts after having it in for about a day - they have definitely been able to work a lot of the kinks out of these units since they first starting using them back when I installed my PX6 unit. They boot and operate MUCH faster, the screen colors and definition is far better, and the overall system layout is much better as well. At the time I put the original unit in I was very pleased with it after I updated the firmware to fix a bunch of the initial bugs, but this one just took it even further on how nice it really is. I still need to adjust some of the settings and such with it, and get my automation setup on my phone for it, but man it's so nice to have it fully working!