Weird noise after RPMs drop after cold start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
My A/C barely cools the truck and Ford says it's normal to have it on LO with fan speed 7 and I'm sweating. No noise though. I'd give anything for decent A/C in this pig.
Try Auto mode at 69 degrees and don't mess with the other stuff. Mine would freeze up the evaporator and stop moving air when I used it like older vehicles. I'm not willing to let the dealer rip the dash out to fix it.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I’ve just recently started to notice this noise after cold starts and occasionally after starting when the truck is warm. The noise is better defined after cold starts though. Any help would be great.
Mine makes a series of clicking noises when it idles down after cold start. Has since new.

OP
OP
Romes86

Romes86

Reaction score
I
Mine makes a series of clicking noises when it idles down after cold start. Has since new.

Mine makes a series of clicking noises when it idles down after cold start. Has since new

Yup. That’s it. Exhaust valves is what those are…I believe. The one on my drivers side is the one making the ****** terrible noise. With the hood open, the passenger side one has a rattle too just not as noticeable…yet. Good find…I’ll point this out to the service department and see what they say?

Are you running it in auto? I did after mine went out and I let it sit for an hour. Seems to work okay now, but I’m not confident it will hold up in the summer. At the time mine went out, it wasn’t hot out and only on a setting of 4 @ 68 degrees.
I traded in my ‘18 with 0 problems for this ‘23 that now has a couple issues. Love and learn I guess. Luckily, it’s not my daily so not a huge deal for me to take it to the dealer for a few days.
I’m pretty sure they are the turbo waste gate actuators. The only exhaust valves I am aware of are the ones just past the muffler that control exhaust tone. Honestly I don’t think it’s anything to worry about and it’s functioning properly. A few people now have mentioned they get this noise as well. However, I reached out to dealer that’s right up the street from my house. I am bringing it by in the morning so they can look at it and confirm. I’ll keep this thread updated tomorrow.

OP
OP
Romes86

Romes86

Reaction score
Ok. Haven’t noticed mine doing it up until recently as I use the remote start a lot in the mornings. After looking today I think the clicking we are hearing is the turbo waste gate actuators cycling through. They don’t do it near as much when the truck is warm but on cold starts it’s just part of the warm up process. Could be completely wrong through.

OP
OP
Romes86

Romes86

Reaction score
So for everyone interested. I went by the dealership today and all is normal with the turbo and waste gates. No need to be alarmed by the waste gates noises while they actuate upon cold starts. Pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpeg
    IMG_0349.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 16

HTXShadow

Reaction score
So for everyone interested. I went by the dealership today and all is normal with the turbo and waste gates. No need to be alarmed by the waste gates noises while they actuate upon cold starts. Pic attached.
Interesting…thanks for posting this. Can’t say I’m okay with it though honestly. Typical of Ford to say it’s normal. I don’t think it should be for what they charge for these trucks. I still plan on taking mine in and pressing them to repair or replace. We’ll see what happens…

OP
OP
Romes86

Romes86

Reaction score
Sounds good. I’m curious of your outcome and if your dealer says something different. Based off the TSB that FORD came out with they are telling FORD service to not replace the turbos unless it’s called for in diagnostic findings. Wish you the best and keep us posted.

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a squeak coming from the driver side turbo actuator. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the actuator, squeak is gone.

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say “squeak” did it sound like my issue?
No, it was more of a dry sharp door hinge squeak. I looked under the hood at the waste gate actuator as it moved it made the noise. They should not make those types of noises. Why does one side do it and not the other??????? Why don't all the trucks make the same noise????

Last edited: