Turbo Part# 2017 RAPTOR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is good info.

Thanks a lot @FordTechOne and stay tuned because I need your help on this one. Care to explain why there are different part numbers for these turbos if they are exactly the same?

If the 2018 turbos are fortified, clearly I want those vs the 2017s.
There are some minor differences, hence the different part numbers. Maybe someone who has done the swap can chime in on the actual differences. The Garrett kit fits 17-20, but they may have made some changes to accommodate both applications.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t know the specifics but I believe the ‘18+ handle high(er) boost a bit better. I doubt anyone has done this exact swap because if you’re going to the trouble of replacing the hair driers, go with something with more capability. Not that the OEMs are in any way a slouch, but their ideal boost is topping out about 17-ish(?) psi. It will go higher, but heat increases a bunch more than boost by proportion.

@Donovan - maybe aftermarket isn’t a bad plan, you’re tuned so it may be worth consideration.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks gents.

At the end of the day, all these tunes were based on the stock turbos. My engine ******* blew, not the turbos, so in my mind, the turbos passed the test but the engine didnt. Haha.

I will do a stock OEM turbo because I did not plan for a $8k set back!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thanks gents.

At the end of the day, all these tunes were based on the stock turbos. My engine ******* blew, not the turbos, so in my mind, the turbos passed the test but the engine didnt. Haha.

I will do a stock OEM turbo because I did not plan for a $8k set back!
No... I’m afraid we can’t let you do that @Donovan

You see, we’re living vicariously through your upgrade & repair expenses.
Go BIG. Or go the prius forum ! :)

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean, are you suggesting that I open up a Go Fund Me?

LOL Since you all want me to get these damn turbos!

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but you should seriously consider doing the PowerMax turbos now, which I ended up getting for less than $3k by shopping around. I would also seriously consider changing out the stock manifolds to the Full Race manifolds and studs. You will want them if you have any desire to make big power, and they do reduce cylinder pressure, which is probably good for longevity vs. tuning the h*** out of the truck with the stock manifolds.

Do it now. Otherwise, it is going to be a massive pain to do after you have put everything back together. You can upgrade downpipes, injectors, plumbing and the rest of it easily later. Turbos and heads are a massive pain to get to later.

I would also seriously consider getting the sand blaster and the POR-15 out for the front section of the frame.