Its not looking good boys...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a 3.5 eco in the shop 5 months ago, sounded like cam phasers. Had #3 piston skirt broken. Two pieces each the size of a quarter in the oil pan.
If they drop the pan they might find some chunks of metal and then they can finally swap the motor

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So for $7k they are basically doing the same thing that the new engine would have.

I am waiting for the exact details of what the shop would be tearing down and rebuilding. I can then do my calculations to figure out if its worth getting this fully done engine and having them drop it in, or allowing them to work on my current.

I have to admit, a brand new engine (basically) at $5700 is amazing but someone also said that I need to get much lower mileage turbos or new turbos since I am at 175k.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So for $7k they are basically doing the same thing that the new engine would have.

I am waiting for the exact details of what the shop would be tearing down and rebuilding. I can then do my calculations to figure out if its worth getting this fully done engine and having them drop it in, or allowing them to work on my current.

I have to admit, a brand new engine (basically) at $5700 is amazing but someone also said that I need to get much lower mileage turbos or new turbos since I am at 175k.
YEA, at a 175k I would do turbos, injectors, water pump, radiator, belts, hoses, maybe an alternator, exhaust manifolds, high pressure fuel pump, EVERYTHING.
Trying to "save" money now will just cost you in the long run and start to make you think you have a "money pit". Once the engine is out, labor is almost FREE, IE: no extra charge to put a new alternator on vs the old used one, just the price of the part. If you have to go back to the shop every three months for something you will kick yourself. You want to go two years without anything but maintenance.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your better off having them install a reman than having them rebuild

or if you go by @Old-Raptor-guy then maybe a used lower mileage motor which will have most of those parts he listed included. not sure but a low mileage 20+ would be your best bet

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
YEA, at a 175k I would do turbos, injectors, water pump, radiator, belts, hoses, maybe an alternator, exhaust manifolds, high pressure fuel pump, EVERYTHING.
Trying to "save" money now will just cost you in the long run and start to make you think you have a "money pit". Once the engine is out, labor is almost FREE, IE: no extra charge to put a new alternator on vs the old used one, just the price of the part. If you have to go back to the shop every three months for something you will kick yourself. You want to go two years without anything but maintenance.

I totally agree at this point.

Problem is, https://fraserengineco.com/3-5-liter-ford-ecoboost-engines/ are out of stock and so are JASPERs.

Looks like TASCO has some but do they come with all of the TSBs done for 2018 + 3.5 ECOBOOST HO engines?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I totally agree at this point.

Problem is, https://fraserengineco.com/3-5-liter-ford-ecoboost-engines/ are out of stock and so are JASPERs.

Looks like TASCO has some but do they come with all of the TSBs done for 2018 + 3.5 ECOBOOST HO engines?

TASCA is one of the biggest OEM dealers in the USA. You would be getting an OEM FOMOCO engine from them, same as you would from the local FORD dealer.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought about the used engine route, hell with the trans still attached. That appears to be around 6-8k. Then I remember that I am on Ford Raptor Forum where you have the ability to see all the shit that goes wrong with the RAPTOR and decided to go with brand new engine. I will also probably do a transmission kit later in the year around Nov.

Narrowed down here: