Gen 3 windshield rock chips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re imagining it. I put 2x windshields on my ’17 so far. One was due to a solid hit from a rock thrown up crossing the causeway to S. Padre Island.
Your Jen Tres glass is just as strong, you’re just being punished for not enough tire shine, not enough ppf, and not stopping at starbucks enough.
Hey….Ive done a lot of Starbucks ….but no PPF or tire shine….maybe we are zeroing in on the issue.
1714795545083.jpeg

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire shine on windshield
No man….superstitions tell us that if the tire shine Gods aren’t appeased, truck failures will happen. I think most of the cam phaser issues can be explained by not enough tire shine.

OP
OP
GCATX

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
quality of windshield is what is going on...
Reminds me of the movie Gung Ho when Michael Keaton was making squeaking noises when he pretended to clean the glass on a car that had no windshield to impress his Japanese boss. Otherwise the truck is great.

wyomingraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grew up in a glass shop. Started in 1977. Sold the shop 6 years ago.
I have thought a lot about why auto glass breaks.
In 1985 windshields for the most part were not any thicker, 55 mph speed limit, tires barely had tread on them, most people drove cars too.
Fast forward to 2024. Speed limit is 80 mph, all terrain tires, everyone drives a pu or suv.
The only car Ford makes is a mustang and reasonable maintenance gets you another 100k miles on the vehicle too. Windshields take a real beating in Wyoming. If your tires wear out before the windshield breaks your lucky.
As for quality of glass, generally it is worse.

Ford makes Carlite glass and it has always been the best. Mopar OEM is good too.

OEM glass and the best tech in town. Everyone is happy and a winner!

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
both times my Raptor windshield cracked I was going 40mph or thereabouts.

wyomingraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cracked my Jeep Wrangler windshield this past winter. Wranglers are very hard on glass. Driving in town probably less than 30mph. It was bitter cold out and the chip spread immediately. It was cold enough to hear windshields splitting all night long!
First windshield I broke in over 20 years. Replaced many that were sandblasted though.

There is only one way to never break a windshield. Stay home

mobob

Reaction score
Gen3 have Soundscreen windows. I don’t know about the Gen 2 but Gen1 didn’t. After going through four on my mustang I have concluded the are brittle and crack easily. I have noticed a couple small chips on mine already in the first 12k.

NickyF25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the movie Gung Ho when Michael Keaton was making squeaking noises when he pretended to clean the glass on a car that had no windshield to impress his Japanese boss. Otherwise the truck is great.
Safety glass lol.