Gen 3 - 21-22 Tuning options consolidated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bspeed78

Reaction score
I recently made the move from a Gen 2 to the Gen 3 and I've not found a consolidated view of Gen 3 (21-22) tuning options. I see that 23's are in hurry up and wait mode. Did I just search ineffectively or is there truly no consolidated view? The comparison I'm looking for would include:
  • Is uninstalling and sending your PCM required
  • Cost
  • Estimated gains
  • Review from real users
  • Switching tune file capability and experience
Does this already exist? If not, let's start it in this thread :cool:

Cobb, SCT, HP Tuner, JB4, MPT, Goose, etc....

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes there's tons of info already. Just requires you to sit and read.

what year is your truck?

23's don't have much tuning options available yet. If you have a 23, you might consider purchasing a 22 ecu.

The gen3 ecu's need to be sent to cobb to be unlocked.

Honestly, just talk to Goose. He'll lead the way.

Last edited:

JD05

Reaction score
The Pulsar XT from Holley / Superchips is a tuner. I have been running one for awhile. They cost around $600. I don't put a lot into dyno numbers but my truck ran about 350 stock HP and with the tuner it hit 440HP and 580 Torque.

Lots of good options out there but I personally would go with ZFGR if I wanted to go the ECM route.

Last edited:

mikewills

Reaction score
I’m also running the Pulsar XT on my 2023. Granted it’s not a Cobb tune, but it’s a piggy back that offers pedal commander-like features, as well as, some other cool features.

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at a variety of tuning options. In Montana, I am limited to 91 Octane .. no 93 or e85. Ford also specifically restricts/warns about octane boosters using MMT

From what I know about dyno-tuning, the ambient temp & humidity can have an impact on results as well as inconsistency of one dyno machine versus another so I think it is somewhat subjective to compare dyno results from different tuning options, especially the piggybacks like Hammer (who told me their "auto-Oct" yields more conservative gains then a specific octance map), JB4 (which has no Gen 3 graphs), VRTuning, PulsarXT/Superchips, etc

reading thru the JB4 support forum, I found Post# 823 & 824 which I think are insightful on one benefit of the JB4. https://www.jb4tech.com/forum/model...n/ford-f150-raptor-and-ecoboost/20162-/page17

still undecided

OP
OP
B

bspeed78

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!! I have a CPOd 21. The idea of sending off the ECU is not thrilling but maybe an idea I need to accept. Any other input out there? Anyone running MPT via SCT tuner device?

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!! I have a CPOd 21. The idea of sending off the ECU is not thrilling but maybe an idea I need to accept. Any other input out there? Anyone running MPT via SCT tuner device?

Cobb sends you a box to overnight the ecu to them, then they overnight it back to you. Its super simple. Just in case you needed some reassurance. I had my ecu back by 10am, reinstalled and drove it to work.

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
At Apollo Optics we have a tuning option that does not require sending off your ECU/PCM thats done great. Theres another thread in this forum about it or you can private message me and I can walk you through it

MidLifeRaptor

Reaction score
I've been looking at a variety of tuning options. In Montana, I am limited to 91 Octane .. no 93 or e85. Ford also specifically restricts/warns about octane boosters using MMT

From what I know about dyno-tuning, the ambient temp & humidity can have an impact on results as well as inconsistency of one dyno machine versus another so I think it is somewhat subjective to compare dyno results from different tuning options, especially the piggybacks like Hammer (who told me their "auto-Oct" yields more conservative gains then a specific octance map), JB4 (which has no Gen 3 graphs), VRTuning, PulsarXT/Superchips, etc

reading thru the JB4 support forum, I found Post# 823 & 824 which I think are insightful on one benefit of the JB4. https://www.jb4tech.com/forum/model...n/ford-f150-raptor-and-ecoboost/20162-/page17

still undecided
Just correcting the bad info in this post - Hammer isn’t a piggyback it is an actual flash calibration that is uploaded to your ECU. Once you flash the calibration you disconnect. No ECU removal required, which sold me. Highly recommend it