Ford GEN2 Engine Start Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanj

Reaction score
Looking into purchased GEN2 with about 50K Miles.... Any input that might be helpful with this cold start "clink" on 1st start up?

Thanks for your input GEN2 Owners regarding purchasing used GEN2

Attachments

• IMG_5112.mov
    13.4 MB

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something clanking against the turbo inlet pipes. Def not the timing chain rattle.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
That single “clink” sound is the flywheel ring gear throwing the starter drive out of engagement. It means everything is clean and dry in that area as it should be. It all sounds normal to me. It does have the later ‘19+ engine cover, but it’s just for measured sound reduction as every sound is picked up by external microphones during EPA certification. “Noise” is a measured “emission”.

0341Marine

Reaction score
My 2018 sounds the same when doing a cold start. I have a buddy that has a 2019 Lariat and it sounds similar. I think it is just the ecoboost engine. Either that or we are all headed toward some sort of cataclysmic engine failure.....I joke!