Exaust Crackles/backfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yes, it does it in all modes. It doesn’t seem like something that should be occurring. Frankly, it can be a little embarrassing. On my 6 mile drive yesterday in traffic, it did it nearly every time I let off the accelerator. It’s done it since my first drive with 12 miles on it.
Even in quiet mode? It's hard to even hear the exhaust unless you go 1/2 throttle or more.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does it in all modes. It doesn’t seem like something that should be occurring. Frankly, it can be a little embarrassing. On my 6 mile drive yesterday in traffic, it did it nearly every time I let off the accelerator. It’s done it since my first drive with 12 miles on it.
Embarrassing??? You may need to be driving a different truck…

alockbox

Reaction score
Embarrassing??? You may need to be driving a different truck…
Thanks for your opinion. Having driven a Hellcat, a 250 diesel, and a suburban 2500 with Borla exhaust, I think I’m fine driving this truck.

It’s embarrassing yes. It pops randomly, always sounds a little different, sometimes almost like something is slamming around in the bed. This is not a sound I’d associate with a quality exhaust. It’s more like a v4 pushed too hard and it’s burbling as it downshifts. It sounds lame when it does it nearly every time you let off the exhaust.

alockbox

Reaction score
Even in quiet mode? It's hard to even hear the exhaust unless you go 1/2 throttle or more.
It’s definitely quieter in quiet mode but it is there. I’ll have to work up a way to get it recorded. At one point is was often enough it made me thing it was bad gas. Then I remembered hearing it the night I picked it up on the drive home, still excited and enjoying the exhaust notes.

Luchh224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was on vacation in the NC mountains, coming down from the mountain it would pop and crack a ton. My R mode is sport mode with Baja exhaust and that’s what I had it on. Sounded so good.

Jpro39

Reaction score
Same here in normal and sport mode you hear a little crackle. It’s normal. Most sport cars these days have it especially Audi.

Donarash

Reaction score
On the topic of exhaust....has anyone noticed the truck getting quieter than before after the latest update? Im not even sure if they can manipulate the exhaust function through OTA but Ive noticed it not being as loud especially in baja mode.