Commuter Car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do heavy commuting. Bought a corolla loved it. Sporty little thing 37mpg. I would laugh at the pump $16 fill up. But the first PA snow storm and I was like I’m gonna die in this car. So I got a awd Highlander. Not a beater by any means as I go overboard with everything I purchase. Great SUV. 27MPG and it looks great as well. And it’s a Toyota. Considered a Subaru but ain’t dropping $2800 when the car hits 100k miles for a head gasket.
Never heard of a Corolla being called a “sporty little thing”; they make a late 80’s J-Body feel like a sports car in comparison.

Highlander is a Camry with a taller body…hardly an “SUV”…

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that a Z50 or a monkey or something? I poke around for one sometimes. My kid is buying a pull start "dumb and dumber" mini bike tomorrow. He has a ktm 300 2 stroke, mind you, but his buddies are building a track for tards. :)
2019 Z125 Monkey

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I commute 250 miles a week to work in a 2004 WJ that I bought 5 years ago for 2400. 250k miles on the 4.0

However it costs 800 a year to insure and i spend about 500 a year on average in maintenance. Brakes one year , exhaust, plugs coils trans fluid last year shocks, radiator fan the year before etc…tires today…

Raptor stays in the garage all week. Its a 19 with 57k miles on it.

Financially , perhaps? Idk … Why mile up the good truck?

The wj is disposable to me. When it finally dies via engine trans or rust it just goes to scrap and i have a whole lot of truck left in the raptor… At least thats the way I see it.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I commute 250 miles a week to work in a 2004 WJ that I bought 5 years ago for 2400. 250k miles on the 4.0

However it costs 800 a year to insure and i spend about 500 a year on average in maintenance. Brakes one year , exhaust, plugs coils trans fluid last year shocks, radiator fan the year before etc…tires today…

Raptor stays in the garage all week. Its a 19 with 57k miles on it.

Financially , perhaps? Idk … Why mile up the good truck?

The wj is disposable to me. When it finally dies via engine trans or rust it just goes to scrap and i have a whole lot of truck left in the raptor… At least thats the way I see it.
Pretty much my train of thought. Except with a bit more fun daily. I drove a WJ for a few years and am not going back there.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just bought an 09 outback fully loaded for $500. yes $500. when i looked at it, it ran but was leaking coolant and trans fluid. and has front end damage. bought it for parts for tirinas outback. got it home and found the trans lines coming from the cooler had hose clamps too big. replaced with smaller clamps and problem fixed. had to replace the water pump but that was simple. coolant leak fixed. no longer a spare parts car for tirina. im going to drive it. think its $20 a month to insure and reg (minus the first time plate fee) $70 a year. i need reloading equipment. so im gonna drive beaters and fix them until i can save enough for everything i want.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would you guys think about doing something like this or am I just buying a toy because I want one? I’m thinking the new gig could add as much as 600 miles a month to my current 600. Probably would average out to 1000. These cars basically get double the fuel mileage and miles rule when it comes to Raptor depreciation.

Thoughts?

Used VW GTI